Macbook (10/08 release) 13" SLOOOW DOWN Help Please!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rcmorgan540, Jun 22, 2009.

1. rcmorgan540 macrumors member

I have had countless Macs. My newest is giving me some problems now. Everything was fine ... I was somewhat of a slacker on software update .. I did a whole host of upgrades at one time ... after that ... slowness set in. It takes a good while for the login screen to load ... after logging in .. it takes FOREVER to be able to use (5 mins) any ideas? I have run Verify / Repair disk permissions ... It seems waking from sleep sometimes forces a battery pull ... once everything is going, it seems to be ok 80% of the time.

2. fcamilleri macrumors member

Check what programs start on startup.

Or, something that you are using is causing an epic memory leak.

3. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

Have you run Verify Disk? The drive could be going. Other than that, try re-installing 10.5.7 from the combo updater?

4. Maserati7200 macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

11230, Midwood, Brooklyn, NY, USA, North America
    Brace for impact.

What I mean is that your hard drive may crash soon. Back up. You don't have much time before it happens. My hard drive crashed twice in 2008. I know what you are talking about. Your HDD is dying.

5. idonotliketostu macrumors 6502

How often do hard drives crash? I've never experience one before in over 15 years of computing.

6. rcmorgan540 thread starter macrumors member

Backup!

I am buying an external drive tomorrow. Should I use time machine or manual? I might just go ahead and replace the drive now. Where should I buy the replacement drive? I am assuming this is something I could do myself.

7. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

If you're going to swap out the drive, I'd manually clone the partition with Disk Utility; otherwise, Time Machine will be fine. Newegg is probably the best place to buy a drive, make sure it's a 2.5" SATA HD.