Macbook 10.5.7 slow

Discussion in 'macOS' started by saadat, Aug 3, 2009.

1. saadat macrumors member

saadat

Hello all
    my macbook having 10.5.7 is very slow. The applications start late and startup takes a lot of time. Please suggest some software which can optimize the OS and make it a little faster.

Regards

2. WilliamG macrumors G3

I can suggest more RAM. 1GB? Jeez... Have at LEAST 2GB. 4GB is easily affordable. Also, a better/faster hard drive, since that 80GB is probably very slow and old at this point. Again, not expensive.

3. saadat thread starter macrumors member

saadat

it was perfectly alright.....it happened suddenly...when i formatted it worked like charm...as soon as the drive started filling up, it became quite slow..suggest something.

4. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

A full drive would cause OS X to grind to a halt. You should leave about 10% hard drive space free on your boot volume.

5. saadat thread starter macrumors member

saadat

I now have more than 5 gb in both the partitions... i deleted some of my data...

6. Amdahl macrumors 65816

If the performance doesn't improve, it is because your drive started fragmenting when free space got low. If it doesn't recover now that you've freed some space, you'll either need iDefrag or to reformat your drive and restore from backup or do a drive clone to another drive, and then back. If you use a cloner, make sure it is one which claims defragmenting as a side effect.

How low did free space actually get?

7. Goldy3311 macrumors newbie

He did suggest something..a larger, faster hard drive and more memory. When you are running low on available memory the OS resorts to paging to disk, which is VERY slow. Add that to having a slow hard drive and things get brutal.

Check here for memory and hard drive upgrades for your system.

8. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Optimally you'll want to have more like 10GB available at least, more if you commonly have a lot of things running or work with large files. 5GB is about the minimum for the computer to really function properly, but it will benefit from the extra space.

I would say if you can't reasonably delete enough stuff to get more room, upgrade your hard drive to give yourself some extra room.

jW