Macbook 10.6 fresh install updating problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by shardey, Nov 15, 2010.

1. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

I just did a clean install on my macbook, with the 2.0 ghz core duo, 1.25gb ram, 80 gb hard drive, and everytime I do a clean install it is ok. I perform updates, and I have narrowed it down to the combo update to 10.6.5 being a problem, as everytime I do the update it causes the laptop to run into a kernel panic and the screen where it says you need to hold down the power button. I have done this 4 times and everytime it is the same error. I just now done a clean install and tried doing a manual update to 10.6.1 and I have the same exact problem. Any idea? This is very annoying.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I'm assuming you're using Software Update to update the OS? Try downloading the combo update from the Apple download site.

3. shardey thread starter macrumors 6502a

shardey

I have tried the manual one for the 10.6.5, and no luck, also tried to do it to the 10.6.1 update and still the same problem. Anyway this could be the extra ram I installed? I really couldn't see how since it has no problem getting a clean install done.

4. radesousa macrumors member

I'm also having problems installing OS 10.6 on my iMac. I had to replace my hard drive with a new 1TB drive and in trying to install the OS I get a message saying I need to use Disk Utility to repartition the hard drive using GUID Partition Table but I don't see any such option in the Disk Utility menu! Help!!! :mad:

5. tavizon macrumors newbie

I Myself have had the same issue. Actually I've counted them and it's been 7 times I've reinstalled (Archive Install) Snow Leopard. Don't know if this has anything to do with it but I want to say it has to do with me accidentally booting up my Macbook with a Hackintosh Disc at one point to do repair permissions. I still have the same system and I don't want to completely wipe out the partition to do a new clean install. Just want to make sure any of you guys have done as I did with the Hackintosh Disc?

MacBook Intel Core Duo (Very First Intel White MacBook)