Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Colesyph

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
Hi everyone, I really hope I put this in the right section, if I didn't I'm sorry. :confused:
Anyways, I have my Macbook hooked upto my HDTV via DVI cable. I get a picture, but i can only get 1280x768 instead of a high definition setting. I know my tv supports it as it works fine on my xbox 360 and cable, which I get 1080i from both. Is there something I am missing, or do macbooks not support the high definition setting?

Thanks. :)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Are you using it in mirroring mode or extended desktop mode? In mirroring mode, it shows the same thing on your screen and on the TV...it will be limited by the resolution of the MacBook screen (1280x800). Using extended desktop mode (by hitting F7 or fn-F7, depending on how your function keys are set up), you should be able to drive an external display/TV up to 1920x1200, though I'm not sure how smooth it will be.

Colesyph

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
Are you using it in mirroring mode or extended desktop mode? In mirroring mode, it shows the same thing on your screen and on the TV...it will be limited by the resolution of the MacBook screen (1280x800). Using extended desktop mode (by hitting F7 or fn-F7, depending on how your function keys are set up), you should be able to drive an external display/TV up to 1920x1200, though I'm not sure how smooth it will be.

I know they aren't mirrored. If I have the Macbook screen up, it's as if I have dual monitors set up. If I close it, I get no arrangment option. Maybe I'm in the wrong menu? (I was in the displays menu)

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Try mini-DVI To VGA Adapter To VGA In The HDTV Instead

My opinion is that you would be better served buying the mini-DVI to VGA adapter and connecting it to your HDTV's VGA "PC" input instead. I have your hookup using VGA and it works perfectly native 1920 x 1080. NOw I don't have a MacBook. But the spec says it supports up to 1920 x 1200 so that should be no problem.

But first, did you use your Display Preferences to make sure your HDTV hookup is set to 1920 x 1080? You can change its resolution just like you can any other monitor hooked to a MacBook there you know. Click on that box that puts Displays in your menu bar so it's more handy to change depending on what you're hooked to.

If it won't go, then try VGA in instead.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I'm not quite following. If you close the MacBook lid, the computer should go to sleep unless it's also connected to an external keyboard and mouse. If that is the case and you wake it back up after closing it, it will operate in clamshell mode with the TV as the only monitor, and you won't see an Arrangement tab in Displays. Is this what you're doing?

If so and it doesn't auto-detect the TVs resolution, you should be able to set it through the Displays pane. No?

Colesyph

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
I'm not quite following. If you close the MacBook lid, the computer should go to sleep unless it's also connected to an external keyboard and mouse. If that is the case and you wake it back up after closing it, it will operate in clamshell mode with the TV as the only monitor, and you won't see an Arrangement tab in Displays. Is this what you're doing?

If so and it doesn't auto-detect the TVs resolution, you should be able to set it through the Displays pane. No?

Oh sorry, Yeah it's connected to an external keyboard and mouse. When it is closed, the highest setting I get in the displays menu is 1280x768. So when it is closed, there is no arrangment tab.

@Multimedia- Isn't DVI digital where VGA is analog? (I thought Digital was supposed to put out a higher quality signal than analog. could be wrong though, I don't know much about this stuff)

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Please Report Make and Model Number So We Can Get Manual To Help You Further

Oh sorry, Yeah it's connected to an external keyboard and mouse. When it is closed, the highest setting I get in the displays menu is 1280x768. So when it is closed, there is no arrangment tab.

@Multimedia- Isn't DVI digital where VGA is analog? (I thought Digital was supposed to put out a higher quality signal than analog. could be wrong though, I don't know much about this stuff)
DVI & VGA connections look exactly the same. You can go either way from MacBook with two different adapters. Your HDTV has a VGA input unless it's a bizarr model. What brand and model number is it? I will download the Instruction Manual and tell you more if you can report make and model number.

Why would you want to close it? The whole idea is to have two screens instead of one.

Colesyph

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
They look exactly the same. Your HDTV has a VGA input unless it's a bizarr model. What brand and model number is it? I will download the Instruction Manual and tell you more if you can report make and model number.

Why would you want to close it? The whole idea is to have two screens instead of one.

Oh yeah, it does have vga. It's an ilo, but I don't know what model it is. Nothing shows on the front and it's mounted on the wall so I cant really look on the back to easily. im gonna look around their site for the model.

edit- its an ilo V23DLWX

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
What The Heck Is Ilo? Are You In America? Where Are You?

Oh yeah, it does have vga. It's an ilo, but I don't know what model it is. Nothing shows on the front and it's mounted on the wall so I cant really look on the back to easily. im gonna look around their site for the model.
Model number is on your manual. Where is your manual? ilo? What the heck is that? Where are you? Are you in America? HOw many inches. What is their URL? Doesn't come up in Google — only review sites.

Are you saying you can't raise the resolution pane in Displays to change it?

Colesyph

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
Model number is on your manual. Where is your manual? ilo? What the heck is that? Where are you? Are you in America? HOw many inches. What is their URL? Doesn't come up in Google — only review sites.

Are you saying you can't raise the resolution pane in Displays to change it?

Lol yeah I'm in America, I don't know what it is, it's an HDTV that I got as a gift. I edited my last post with the model number. It's about two years old, but I know for a fact it supports 1080i.

sycho

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2006
1280x768 is the native resolution of your display, use it for the best image.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
What City Please Adn URL For The Company

Lol yeah I'm in America, I don't know what it is, it's an HDTV that I got as a gift. I edited my last post with the model number. It's about two years old, but I know for a fact it supports 1080i.
What City? URL For the company I asked before and you didn't reply with the info.

V23DLWX is only 23" that's 1280 x8=768 max res so you already had it right before you started this thread. Nothing under 32" is native 1920 x 1080 and few of those. 40" is where 1920 x 1080 becomes common.

Supporting 1080i and BEING 1080i are two completely different things. It dumbs down the 1080i to 1280 x 720 Colesyph. In the computer mode it is 768 high. But in the HDTV mode it is only 720 high.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Multimedia has it correct...according to the product's listing on walmart.com, it only has a resolution of 1280x768.

Colesyph

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
Ah. Alright thanks guys, I appreciate your time! :D

I didn't realize that it had to be bigger in order to support that resolution.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
This is a confusion I often find. Just because a HDTV is listed as being capable of showing a 1080 signal does not necessarily mean that it does so natively. For TV's up to about 32" they have less than 1080 vertical lines, but are capable of accepting a 1080i signal and displaying it at the native resolution of the TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.