macbook + 1080p movie editing?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by wywern209, May 19, 2009.

1. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

K. so i want to get a refurb UMB with the 2.0ghz proc. from the apple refurb store if i get a job this summer( questionable, due to the state of the economy). i was wondering if it can handle editing HD footage in imovie '09' because i have a Canon HF S100 camcorder and i am currently using my dad's iMac to do the editing(his imac is the one with the ATI 2600 pro GPU and the 2.8ghz proc.) so, can it handle the HD editing?

-wywern209, the MR Ninja

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

It'll be plenty fine. Even though the 2.4 is 20% "faster" in clock speed, real world benchmarks are not that big of a difference.

Just bump the RAM to 4GB.

3. polaris20 macrumors 68020

I've been doing HD editing in FCP for the last 3 weeks on my 2.4Ghz MBP, and just realized yesterday I've had it in 9400m mode for the whole time. Point being, you can definitely do HD editing on the MB, and like the other person said, the 2.0 shouldn't be that much slower; really probably just a case of waiting a couple minutes longer for a render.

These books are amazing for video editing; I've been very pleased with it, having come from a low end Avid system and also Sony Vegas.