Macbook 12" 2015 - Poor SSD Performance

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Yamcha, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Yamcha macrumors 68000

Hello Everyone!

For some reason I'm getting very poor SSD performance with my Macbook 12" 2015, It's only about 2 months old. The speeds were fairly decent before, not sure if It's because of the storage used up.

This is my first time using PCI based storage and I was hoping it'd sustain close to the speeds I was getting when I first bought the Macbook. According to the System Profiler Trim is enabled.

Attached Files:

2. c0mm0n macrumors member

c0mm0n

3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

SSDs take quite a hit on speed when they are full, so, delete stuff. You'll also want free space for OS cache anyway.

4. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

2015 512 Retina MacBook, 88.3 Gb free space of 499 available, if the free space reduces too much the SSD will definitely suffer speed loss.
    DiskSpeedTest.png

Q-6

5. ziggy29 macrumors regular

I would also suspect the SSD is too close to full, especially given the very poor write speed. I just ran this test on a Late 2008 Unibody MacBook (2.0 GHz) with a 250 GB Crucial MX200 SSD (170 GB free) and I was consistently getting write speeds more than double what you posted (overall, about 200 writing and 265 reading) -- and that's with a machine more than seven years old. If you can, copy/backup some of your files and lesser used apps to an external drive, free up some space and try it again.

6. Yamcha thread starter macrumors 68000

Screen Shot 2016-04-24 at 11.54.54 PM.png

I have about 20GB free.. I suspected it was due to the storage used up, but I personally haven't experience this on a traditional SSD. The performance it wasn't as drastic..

7. c0mm0n macrumors member

c0mm0n

18gb is shortt, but afaik it shouldn't drop that low in perf.

What i'd do in any case
    - Make sure everything is bacuped. TM or whatever.
    - Free up some decent space (say at least 10%, the more the better, at least to locate the problem), copy files to external drive, etc...

Than try in no particular order
    - reset PRAM / NVRAM
    - See disk status in disk utility, try the SOS (maybe)