Macbook 12" 2015 Retina, Issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by c.pease17, Nov 6, 2017.

1. c.pease17 macrumors newbie

I've had my Macbook 12" Retina 2015 for over a year (bought it in 2016), and the past 2 weeks, it's been shutting off randomly, and starting back up. Then, this past weekend, I tried starting it up, and nothing worked. I plugged it in, nothing, no sounds, nothing! So I went and bought a new cable, and charger thinking that would solve it. Nope.

Then I contacted Apple Support, tried resetting the SMC and others, still not working. I then brought my book into the Genius Bar, and they tried 4 chargers, and 4 different cables. They said it may be the USB-C port, if not that, possibly the logic board. Now, my AppleCare expired back in June 2017. So I'm basically SOL.

Anyone have experience where this situation occurred? What'd you do to fix it? I don't have $800 to spend to have the logic board/USB-C fixed (as that was the estimate I was given by Apple). I might as well just take that and buy a new Macbook.

2. mripadmini macrumors regular

mripadmini

id sell it and get a new or refurbished laptop.

3. c.pease17 thread starter macrumors newbie

Even though it doesn't power on? lol

4. Jpoon macrumors 6502a

Jpoon

Try replacing the port!
    Sounds like you have nothing to lose if you've already been quoted an 800$ repair.

Curious, they offered you a flat rate Apple Care repair? Probably quoted you the highest possible tier of repair assuming there's something wrong that's not able to be seen without a full tear apart (e.g. liquid exposure).

5. c.pease17 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Jpoon macrumors 6502a

Jpoon

Another note, if I were in your shoes, I'd probably go so far as to take it apart to see if I was at fault *liquidy ghosts that may have gotten in there unknown to you... it happens* and perhaps to just inspect the USB C port further.

If you want to see if it's still drawing any sort of current this product exists, but it's like 30$ plus shipping and tax.

I'm seeing the USB-C Flex Cable Board on eBay for not so much. Taking the MacBook Retina apart is no walk in the park!

*EDIT*

Just saw your reply! Happy DIY repair :D, and you're welcome!