Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Never had an issue with my old MB 12" outside the keyboard. It's why I sold it. I just didn't enjoy it. I'm debating what to get next and I keep going back and forth between the 2020 base model air and 2020 base model pro. My 12" did everything I needed it to but only slowed down a tiny bit when I edited raw in lightroom.

What kind of performance upgrade can I expect from the base model 2020 air over my old 2017 12" MacBook? Will it handle my raw files better? I usually don't even edit raw files, just on occasion so it's not a deal breaker, even on the 12". I am just trying to decide if I can save $300 and enjoy the air as much as the new pro?

Thoughts, comments, opinions on those who have used both a 12" and the new air?

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
Maby one of following threads can be of some help

Compare with Air 2019, but may give you a rough idea of what can be expected from Air 2020

Reactions: noobinator

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
12" MB to 13" Air, even an i3 model will be a significant upgrade

Faster storage, and max boost speed of 3.4-3.6 Ghz or so vs. 2.4-2.6 Ghz on the passive cooled 12" MacBook. Plus the ice lake CPUs are 15% faster at the same clock speed and the GPU is massively faster for things that use it.

Yes, it has a fan, no it isn't loud most of the time, and if it does spin up the machine will be ripping through things much faster than your 12" machine did.

Reactions: noobinator

playtech1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
The i3 Air is on paper a better performer than the 2017 MB, but you are still looking at a dual-core processor, integrated graphics and fairly weak cooling, so I think you should keep your expectations realistic. It will be quicker, but I don't think you will be wowed by the upgrade.

Personally I think the i5 quad core is the sweet spot for the 2020 Air. In my experience (which admittedly is not with the 2020 Airs) quad cores just seem to have a bit more snappiness in general use than dual cores that make them much more pleasing to use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.