MacBook 12" bag

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ahostmadsen, Jul 7, 2015.

1. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

I'm looking for a bag for the 12" macbook (not sleeve or case, as in the other thread). What I want:
    1. As small and light as possible.
    2. Fits 12" macbook and an iPad Air.
    3. Fits letter size paper.
    4. Not too expensive. I prefer other material than fake leather.

I bought this bag: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P5ZSC5U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00, only to realize you cannot put a letter sized paper into it. As returning on Amazon is expensive, I cannot just try out many different bags.

2. New2MacOS macrumors member

I am extremely happy with the Booq Taipan superslim bag (bought on the 4th of July). The bag does not provide a snug fit for the 12" rMB because this bag was designed for a 13-inch MB Pro, but:
    1. it is small (the exterior measures 13.8 × 10.4 × 1.6 inches),
    2. slim and expandable
    3. light
    4. fits the 12" rMB and my iPad mini 3
    5. there is a separate pouch for letter-sized documents (actually, there are 3 separate "pouches"--2 with zippers).
    6. not expensive (listed for $70, but Booq Bags offered a 4th of July 20% discount)
    7. the bag is made with "tri-weave polyester exterior fabric with water-repellent coating"

An additional feature is that the Taipan superslim comes with a removable, adjustable shoulder strap.

Take a closer look at this bag at: http://www.booqbags.com/us/briefs/taipan-superslim/TSS13-BLK
    The website also shows a video of the bag.

Hope this helps.

3. ahostmadsen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, it looks nice. I also saw the following on their web site: TJS11-BLK. It's interior dimensions are 12.4 × 8.6, and the macbook is 11.04 x 7.74, saw it seems like it should fit.

4. New2MacOS macrumors member

The TJS11 is slightly smaller, but if I am not mistaken the TJS11-BLK exterior is made of neoprene. I own Tumi backpacks and travel bags so I am particularly fond of ballistic nylon-like material, like the TSS13.

Good luck!

5. ahostmadsen thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

I will say it doesn't have as much room in it appears to in reviews I watched. It is on the heavier side but not bad IMO.

7. headcase macrumors 6502

headcase

Yeah, its pretty heavy, and its going back. I also tried a few other different bags the last week from Targus, InCase, and SF Bags... I have finally decided I like the MacBook Outback Solo from SF Bags:
    https://www.sfbags.com/collections/...-cases/products/outback-solo-macbook-air-case

Based on other reviews, the one thing that the Outback Solo really needs is a shoulder pad for the built-in strap, and the Grizzly Leather Shoulder Pad goes very well with it:
    https://www.sfbags.com/collections/...-cases/products/outback-solo-macbook-air-case

8. amnichols10 macrumors regular

Incase makes a sling pack that's nice. I have one and love it.

Attached Files:

9. ahostmadsen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Are the Booq bags good quality? The thing is, you can find similar bags on Amazon for about half the price (I have to say I'm thinking the TJS11-BLK, but the question is general), but after having ordered some of these, I can see that the quality seems similar to the price.

10. ahostmadsen thread starter macrumors 6502a

This does indeed look very nice. The question is if it will also fit a sheet of letter size paper. If it fits the MacBook very tightly, it will not, as the MacBook width is considerably less than letter size.

11. ahostmadsen thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did get a reply directly from WaterField. You cannot fit a sheet of letter size paper into the 12" bag (but you can in the 13" bag). To me that is a bummer. While I primarily want to carry the computer, I feel it's unavoidable to also have to carry papers at time: you go to a meeting, someone gives you a sheet of paper. Where are you going to put it if your bag is too small for paper?

12. Tom! macrumors newbie

First need to mention that I don't know why al those sleeves are so popular (the other topic has 600 replies!), had one with my 15 inch MBP but only used it a few times. Maybe because I never take it outside without the charger. So after reading your post I've bought the Booq Taipan superslim and I think it's perfect! It has enough room to take some extra things with you (like a small bag) with the compactness of a sleeve.
    And it feels like a nice quality product. I'm very happy with it.

13. mattopotamus, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2015

mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

14. ahostmadsen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, in the end I ordered this one: http://www.booqbags.com/us/sleeves/TJS11-BLK. Although it's for the 11" Air, it should fit the 12" also. We'll see when I get it. The thing is, I already have a nice laptop bag from my 13" MBA that can fit a lot of stuff, so I wanted something absolute minimal when I'm just bringing the rMB (but with the condition that it has handles, and fits a few letter size sheets).

15. New2MacOS macrumors member

Congratulations on your purchase! Booq bags are top notch in quality. Please post your review of the Taipan jumpsuit.

16. New2MacOS macrumors member

Congratulations on your purchase of the Booq Taipan super slim!

17. ahostmadsen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Finally received it from Amazon. Man, the Booq website is lying! It claims the interior dimensions are 12.4 × 8.6 × 0.7. The key is that it will fit a letter size paper (11 x 8.5). I even asked the manufacturer (through Amazon), and they confirmed it would fit a letter size paper. But it does not. To confirm, I measured the exterior dimensions. They claim they should be 12.8 × 9.1 × 1.2 (confirmed on Amazon website). But definitely the height is less than 9 in. In fact, my guess is the dimensions are exactly those of the Taipan Spacesuit, which have exterior dimensions 12.6 × 8.3 × 1 and interior dimensions 12 × 7.7 × 0.7. The jumpsuit seems to be a spacesuit with handles.

I give up finding a bag. I tried three bags from Amazon, and they all go back.

18. ahostmadsen thread starter macrumors 6502a