Macbook 12" or Ipad Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Attackapan, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Attackapan macrumors newbie

Attackapan

Hello!

I apologize if this has been answered before but I couldn't really find anything when I searched for it.

Here's my dilemma. I've recently taken up my bachelors degree in Energy Engineering after a parental leave for a year. I currently use a windows gaminglaptop (ASUS G501VW) but I really dislike dragging it along with me to classes. It's still pretty lightweight (about 4,5 pounds) and batterylife is descent but my main gripe is that I hate windows and mainly Office. Earlier in my studies I used a 2012 MBA which I was very pleased with until it gave up.

I feel that my current laptop exceeds my needs as I no longer play any games so I've been looking to replace it and go back to macOS again.

My education doesn't require any heavy programming. It's mostly theoretical stuff with a lot of notetaking, labs and reportwriting. We do occasionally use SolidWorks however there's computers available at campus for these courses.

So I've been checking out the 12" Macbook as its powerful enough and very portable. But I have also been thinking about the Ipad Pro 12.9". Mainly because I would love to write my notes and have them as a digital copy since I plow though notebooks and really struggle to keep them organized. Also writing notes directly on .pdf files would be amazing.

The main concern is if iOS on the IPP will hinder me? How well does Pages/Numbers/Keynote work compared to macOS versions? Our coursematerial mainly consists of .pdfs and physical books. How well does iOS multitasking/splitscreen work compared to macOS?

Has anyone had any experience with the IPP or macbook or both? Any input is appreciated!

2. merkinmuffley, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016

merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

You mention having had a MBA and liking it, given that I'd recommend the Macbook retina and not entertain the idea of trying to use an IPad. Regardless of what Tim Cook says, the IPad cannot replace a notebook. I don't know Tim Cook does on his notebook, but it must be very different from what I do on a Macbook. The Macbook retina is a very nice, very portable machine, you'll like it.

3. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

If you get the iPad with the keyboard, and your multitasking needs are minimal (the second app is notes, a video, etc) then you should be ok with the iPad. That said, I don't think it can do Safari and something like Pages/Word, or Pages/Word and a pdf. The iPad is really a single app device that can occasionally do something extra.

The MacBook is better for multitasking, and my choice. What would be ideal for you is a Surface Pro or the Surface Book, as it is a computer with pen support, but you did say you are done with Windows so maybe not.

The small issue with the iPad is you need a full desk to support the weight of the tilted iPad when using a keyboard. So if your classes have those tiny fold out desks then the iPad could fall, where as a MacBook has a solid base and won't. I did see someone with a Surface Pro almost drop his device trying to balance it on a tiny desk, because once the kickstand is over the edge there is no more support.

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I have both and find they fill different needs:

If I'm going to a meeting then I use my iPad (note taking on it is a brilliant experience using OneNote). I don't use iWork much as I have an Office 365 subscription so use the Office Apps which aren't as full featured as on macOS but are still very powerful. I also use Jump Desktop so can connect to remote machines for support purposes if necessary while I'm out.

If I'm going out and will need to do more than take notes or write some documents (such as demoing software), then I take my rMB - while I could use Jump to remotely connect to another machine running the Dev environment, it's not as convenient as doing it on the rMB itself

My main machine is an iMac and because of this, if I had to choose between one of the iPad and the rMB, it'd be the iPad, but if I didn't have the iMac, I'd go for the rMB as a single device.

I also have a Surface Book which is a brilliantly powerful laptop but the surface pen isn't as good in my opinion as the Apple Pencil (it just doesn't feel as smooth writing with it)

5. Attackapan thread starter macrumors newbie

Attackapan

Thanks for all the replies, it was very helpful!

So I found a refurb 2015 base model macbook and should recieve it next week. I've just started with hydromechanics where se have to some simulations using Matlab.

Does anyone have any experience running sims with the core m3? Particulary using Simulink? I ran a relativly simple sim on my asus laptop which had a 6700HQ and to be fair it wasnt really that fast. Mainly because of the program itself since it only used about 25% CPU.

But seeing the difference in power between a m3 and an i7 makes me curious. Not that its a dealbreaker but would be nice to be able to run the sims at home.

6. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

The program only uses 25% of a quad core CPU, so it won't see a difference in speed in dual or quad core.

The Matlab CPU requirements says it used floating point: https://www.mathworks.com/products/matlab/choosing_hardware.html#_Central_Processing_Unit

MacBook floating point: https://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/compare/6213513?baseline=6170528

Here are some Asus G501VW models with i7-6700HQ (most are faster than the MacBook): https://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/search?utf8=✓&q=i7-6700HQ+G501VW

The MacBook will be slower. This should be obvious due to how much less power it uses (only 5W compared to the 45W 6700HQ or desktop CPUs that can use over 90W).

This is the list of all CPUs: http://browser.primatelabs.com/processor-benchmarks. Essentially if you got a desktop for Simulink, especially with something like the i7-6700K, you would be happier. Any desktop will be faster than a same price laptop, as it doesn't need to worry about cooling/power usage and you are not paying for things like battery or the screen.