Macbook 12" really slow to charge?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Macs4u, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Macs4u macrumors 6502

Hi,

I have just bought a used MacBook 12" 2015 base spec. Came boxed but the charger was missing as was told it had broken. Got it for a steal so happy with it. Went out and bought a new one today (29w genuine apple) and its taking absolutely ages to charge , was on 41% about an hour ago and just on 54% now. Thats a genuine apple charger but not a genuine apple cable and also its a usb-usb c cable so I had to plug a usb c to USB adapter into the power brick and then the non gen cable into the MacBook. Could this be the reason behind the slow charging?

2. andy9l macrumors 68000

You should be using a 60W charger, that's the main issue. Your frankenstein cable/adapter solution won't be helping things either.

3. Macs4u thread starter macrumors 6502

But it says the 29w is the right one?

Attached Files:

4. andy9l macrumors 68000

Well, I stand corrected. I always thought it was 60W - hence most USB-C monitors outputting 60W. Mine also says 29W. Must just be 13" MBPs that take 60W.

Perhaps just try the Apple USB-C charging cable? It's £20 and I believe you can still return it up to 14 days after purchase.

5. SkigolfMT macrumors newbie

I would guess the adapter might be at fault. That should fully charge in 1-2 hours....at least ours does with OEM power supply and OEM cable.

6. Macs4u thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I think I will try the original apple cable. Cant see how it can make a difference as surely the important factor is the 29w coming from the charger?

Matt
    --- Post Merged, Apr 22, 2017 ---
    So you mean the adapter interfering with the charge?

7. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

1. The correct power adapter for the 12" MacBook is the 29W Apple USB-C one, but using a the 61W or 87W Apple USB-C power adapter is also fine.
    2. Using a USB-C to USB-A adapter/cable will limit the charging speed to around 12W (as this is the limit for USB-A).
    3. When buying a USB-C to USB-C cable, get the Apple one. It is very reasonably priced at £19. Don't cheap out and get some rubbish on Amazon - most of them are dangerous, unreliable, too short, or all of the above.

8. Macs4u thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah right , thats it then. Just ordered an Apple cable. Thanks for the help/info for those who replied!