Macbook 12" Retina - currently cannot be used with display port?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kultschar, Apr 19, 2015.

1. kultschar macrumors 6502a

Can anybody confirm that at the moment this is the case due to no adapters??

I have the older 27" Apple display (non Thunderbolt version) so presume at the moment I cannot use it with the new Macbook

2. BFW122083 macrumors 6502

Yup, you have to have an adapter. Apple sells one (thats currently 4 weeks to get) and I believe google sells just a usb-c to hdmi adapter. Benefit to Apples is you can charge at the same time.

3. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

It CAN be used with display port but you need an adapter.

4. kultschar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah ok - I missed the adapter when I searched on Apple site, will take another look!

Cheers!

5. Mattymoocow macrumors member

Mattymoocow

what adapter? There is no adapter! The Apple one only does HDMI.

I cannot find a Display port Female to HDMI male to work with the Apple AV adapter.

6. kultschar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm which adapter is it?? Can only find HDMI / VGA

----------

Hmm thats what I thought - seems a bit of an oversight considering if not compatible with the modern Apple displays

7. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

Yes, Apple does not have one yet.

8. JTToft, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015

JTToft macrumors 68040

9. kultschar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wouldn't that mean it cant be powered same time??

Surely Apple will release something soon>?

10. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Yes, naturally.

11. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

The Macbook is more of a portable machine. It wasn't really designed to be plugged into an external display for it's usage. The advancements in force touch, keyboard and battery make it so. If you were buying a laptop that was going to be used in clamshell most of the time, you'd probably buy a different machine.

12. kultschar thread starter macrumors 6502a

True but its handy on the odd occasion, its obviously capable just needs a simple adapter from Apple that ain't available (yet)

13. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Most people making presentations would be sorry to hear that.. So, no. Of course it is meant to drive an external display.

14. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

It's not meant to drive an external display, it can drive an external display (soon). It's meant to be a portable workhorse. Should be obvious. You're not going to buy a Macbook if you give a lot of presentations hooked up to a projector. Imagine the headache of always making sure you are fully charged before speaking in front of a group of people or the embarrassment if you run out of battery mid-presentation.

15. JTToft macrumors 68040

16. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Wut? How often do you do 9+ hour presentations? The machine is perfect for academics, and they give presentations regularly, and the machine is perfect for that.

17. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

No this won't work. The (mini) Display Port cables can only go DP->HDMI they cannot go HDMI->DP due to the way the chips work.

Do not attempt this solution, I can 100% guarantee it will not work to go from HDMI to DP.

18. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Yeah, I thought about that, but wasn't sure. I guess I should have added that caveat.
    I wonder if a cable that can do HDMI -> mDP exists...

19. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

It wouldn't be a cable, it would have to be a video converter box because of the way the signals work. Display Port chips basically have a built in 'compatibility' converter which can be used to go back to old-school DVI/HDMI standards. The same does not exist for HDMI since it is so old.

I did buy a converter box at one point to play Playstation on my Apple Cinema Display which would convert HDMI to Display Port, but it had a max input resolution of 1080p. I haven't really looked around to see if anyone has made more flexible converter boxes that could handle higher resolutions but it may exist.

20. KPOM macrumors G5

It may require a kludgy setup, but Best Buy and Amazon may have adapters. I saw a USB to Ethernet/VGA/USB hub there yesterday. Perhaps they have one with DisplayPort.

21. maclook macrumors 65816

Is HDMI the best route to finding a solution rather than the VGA adapter that Apple sells? I had been thinking :
    [Apple USB-C VGA adapter] to [VGA to Displayport] to [Displayport to mini DP] to [female to female mini DP] to [Cinema Display mini DP]
    or
    [Apple USB-C VGA adapter] to [VGA cable] to [VGA to mini DP adapter] to [female to female mini DP] to [Cinema Display mini DP]
    or something along those lines.

22. Mattymoocow macrumors member

Mattymoocow

VGA surely won't be able to handle 1440p res!

It's analog, don't think thats going to work.

23. maclook macrumors 65816

Ah, you're right.

24. leman macrumors 604

How that? The Apple adapters allow you to charge your laptop while doing a presentation. And for a projector VGA is all you need even nowadays.

25. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

Are the Apple displays equipped with a male mDP??? That seems very weird.