MacBook 12" + Touchbar

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rhyzome, Nov 1, 2016.

1. rhyzome, Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016

rhyzome macrumors regular

And Touch ID...

When will it come?

Touchbar really could help free up valuable screen real estate on the MacBook eliminating redundant display of buttons, etc.

2. ffnc1020 macrumors member

I'd be down if they move the dock onto the touch bar. Maybe some 3rd party plugin can make that happen.

3. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

It'll probably come when they can get it cheap enough to not effect the price. I think ideally Apple wants the MacBook to take the place of the Air as the entry point, but its going to take a while to get the price down.

4. Picapau21 macrumors 6502

Why don't you set the dock to stay hidden. Thats what I do and so can utilise the whole screen. It only appears when you hover the mouse over it.

You don't need an expensive touch bar to add that feature.

[​IMG]

5. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

ha. i haven't used the dock in a decade (i used to hide it with 'dock gone', now just a terminal entry). i open apps with launchpad, go thru open apps with the app switcher (command-tab)... and have Mail Satellite in my menubar for email notification). always thought the dock was a bad idea (at least, on the 12" powerbook thru to my new 12" macbook)...

6. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

I think the Touch Bar is too expensive to include, but I bet they'll include Touch ID for Apple Pay and security.

7. QCassidy352, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016

QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I think the next move is to drop the price so they can kill off the air. I expect the 2017 to be the same but with kaby lake and a lower price, more like $1100 starting. I wouldn't expect their newest and flashiest feature at the same time. Maybe 2018.

8. Danoc macrumors 6502

Danoc

But can they add the touch bar and the T1 chip in the MacBook casing? It is so small and tight I am not even sure.

9. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Not right away, but if they want the touchbar software to take off its going to eventually have to be on every computer they sell, si not only do i expect it to eventually come to the MacBook, but it will also have to be available to desktop users too. Si expect a new Apple keyboard with touch bar un the near future too.

10. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

11. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

i think, for some time, it willl be one of the things that separates the macbook from the 'pro' line (just as the entry level 13" doesn't have it). am excited to check it out, but am damn happy with my 12" just as it is (at least, for now)...

12. macintoshmac macrumors 68000

macintoshmac

TB or not (on the rMB) but I would definitely like Touch ID to be on every machine.

13. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

+1 on this.

Didn't they say the new MBP don't need a power button because it powers on when the lid is opened? So just keep the function keys and replace the power button with the Touch ID. Man, my girlfriend can't even remember her 1password master password....