MacBook 13" 2.2Ghz vs. MacBookPro 15" 2.2ghz

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SDDave2007, Jan 24, 2008.

1. SDDave2007 macrumors regular

Other than the obvious differences [13" screen vs 15" screen], [1gig RAM vs 2gig RAM] what other differences are there between these two machines?

Upgrading the RAM to 4gig on both machines from OWC is the same, so I don't count that as a problem. 95% of the time, the machine would be used as a desktop unit with an external Screen and keyboard, so the screen is not a "big" deal.

My big concern is performance. Are the processors the same? Would these two machines benchmark out the same? What would I be compromising by getting the 13" machine?

We are talking $800 diffence in price..... I don't mind paying for what I get... I'm just not sure what I'm getting other than a bigger Screen?

2. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

You'd also be getting a dedicated graphics processor, an aluminum casing, a higher resolution iSight camera, a backlit keyboard, more ports...

3. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Well, what do you need it to do? You should get whichever one you're thinking about, unless you're just asking for the heck of it. The 15" blows away the MB on GPU related things, seeing as it actually has a dedicated card. But you also get the backlit keyboard, higher resolution iSight (if it's usable at that res), FW 800, left side USB (for righties with mice), expresscard 34 for expansion, not so dinky speakers, a real latch, a shiny power button, dual link DVI (for >1920x1200 screens), shiny letters that say "MacBook Pro", a rubber guard along the edges of the casing, larger wrist rests, .3 more lbs, the option of a matte screen, aluminum casing (conducts heat better than plastic and is lighter), and of course the admiration of everyone with a MacBook.

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Unless you need the extra features of the MBP (graphics card's the main working difference), I'd go with the Macbook.

5. errol macrumors 6502

errol

One "feature" I like about the macbook is how easy it is to replace the HD. I hate computers that make it difficult to change the HD. With that said, it would be very easy for you to throw a 7200rpm drive in there to gain "teh snappy", whereas this would be difficult on the MBP.

6. SDDave2007 thread starter macrumors regular

Well iToaster, I think you covered all the aspects... I especially like the "shiny power button"...

However I was not aware that the 13" lacked FW800, and a dedicated GPU

It does have a "mini-DVI"... how does that differ from "dual link DVI"?

FW800 and the bling... MacBookPro it is.... [actually everything you mentioned made sense... but I love your "shiny" comments]

Thanks

And BTW.. not for "the heck of it"... I currently have a MacPro Quad, and was thinking about getting a MacBook for the wife to use with an external keyboard/monitor until I get my next bonus, and then get her an iMac or something. but we need a laptop in the meantime for other things as well.

7. SDDave2007 thread starter macrumors regular

I have heard that HD replacement in the current MBP is way easier than the previous models....
    However, I'm planning on using an External HD.... so I will need the FW800 on the MBP

8. errol macrumors 6502

errol

Not having dual link DVI basically means you can't drive resolutions higher than 1080p, so you would be unable to drive a 30" LCD with that 2560xXXXX resolution.

9. lukoson macrumors member

Sorry, I posted this in another thread but didn't get any response. Thought this would be a more appropriate thread for this discussion as I was wondering the same thing...

I had been considering getting a macbook since the fall but then waited for macworld in the hopes of seeing an updated macbook pro to jump on. I don't do any gaming or graphics but was considering the macbook pro 15" for the extra screen space. I'm a graduate student and spend a lot of time writing and thought that the 13" might seem too small to work off of. I realize that I can hook the macbook up to a larger external display but I will most likely need to spend most of the time working on the computer when I would not have access to an external display. So, I thought about continuing to play the waiting game on a macbook pro for as long as I could (I can wait a few more months but I'm honestly getting tired of waiting) until I saw that my school was offering a deal on a MacBook White 2.2Ghz Core2Duo 2GB 120GB w/AppleCare for $1399. So, I guess I have a few questions: a) does anyone with a 13" ever feel like they wish they had extra screen space? Or is the 13" plenty of space for basic word processing (I may need to have two documents open side by side at times, but not too often) and b) Is $1399 a good deal and so worth forgoing the macbook pro giving my needs?
    Thanks for the advice.

10. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

MBP is a lot more machine at .4lb more. Though if you feel you're getting the steal of the year with the MB, go for it - it's certainly a capable notebook. Personally I'd wait - I'm using a MB now and itching for a MBP.