Macbook 13, 2009, A1278

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by haikujim, Oct 5, 2015.

1. haikujim macrumors newbie

I was given a Macbook 13, core 2 Duo 2GHz in a dead condition. Wouldn't start, wouldn't charge. Charger light a dull green.
    I changed the DC inboard. Got machine to start by using the method I saw on iFixit. Hold power button, with adapter off, for 10sec. still holding button, connect charger, hold for another 10 sec. release power button, then press once. It starts.
    got 3 beeps at startup. removed one bad ram module.
    Once booted, I reinstalled lion. keyboard, trackpad, wifi work. Fan runs full on. wont enter sleep mode by shutting lid, only by using apple menu.
    coconutBattery shows nothing on battery, same with mac menu. I assume its an old battery and might be dead
    Tried resetting SMU, but only way to startup is by the above method.
    Is it worth buying a battery for? Or is something on the logic board not working. I don't know the history of it. But so far, everything seems to work. I also tried a power adapter from a macbook pro I have. Runs green at first, then goes orange and blinks.

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I take it that it's a White MacBook? I was checking for new batteries for mine a couple of months back. Apple don't seem to sell them any more(not on their webstore anyway). The only ones I could find were cheap 3rd party ones and I'm not sure I'd trust one of those.

3. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

If it's an A1278 then it's actually an aluminum MB, which was introduced in 2008. The unibody white MacBook's model number is A1342.