Macbook 13.3" 2.4 ghz Good Gaming Computer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CasiLindberg, May 20, 2008.

1. CasiLindberg macrumors member

I have been wondering whether or not to buy a macbook. I have had windows all my life and have decided to turn to mac because of the improved performance of the operating system. I have been wondering whether or not the Macbook White 13.3" 2.4Ghz 2Gb RAM is a good gaming computer.

For example, i have checked the specifications for Call of Duty 4, and the Macbook reaches the recommended specifications not only the required specifications. I am just curious if the Macbook is good enough to run these new high end games

P.S. I am not a hardcore gamer and do not require amazing FPS and performance while playing.

2. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

Maybe you should buy the entry level MacBook, and build a decent Windows box for gaming for the same price. Remember that MacBook's don't have a dedicated video memory.

3. iBecks macrumors 6502

You would be better off with a computer with a dedicated graphics card, I agree with the poster above, buy the entry level MacBook and decent windows PC for gaming.

4. BennyM macrumors newbie

The integrated graphics won't be enough I'm afraid. If you really want to game you'd have to look at the Pro's at least.

Though I'd do what Samarium advised.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That's what I would do.

6. asme macrumors regular

It is a gaming computer that is adequate at best.

7. CasiLindberg thread starter macrumors member

Is the graphics card the only problem which may occur while running a game then, because from what I know, the other specs are good enough for many games.

8. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

Yes, the integrated graphics card is the problem. Without enough memory your game will not only run with poor FPS, but you will have to upgrade your RAM memory to the maximum in order to play a game with the minimum settings.

9. Eric. macrumors regular

Laptops generally use rather crappy graphics accelerators integrated into the motherboard that get the job done for running normal applications and watching videos. They do that because they are much cheaper than a dedicated graphics card (such as most desktops and high end laptops like the Macbook Pro, certain Alienwares, etc). Also in line with keeping the price down, the integrated video cards share the same memory that the system uses for normal computing (RAM). Two disadvantages to that are that it takes away memory from the CPU and that RAM is a lot slower than the memory used on graphics cards.

In short, you aren't going to be doing any real gaming on a laptop unless it has an Nvidia or ATI graphics card.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

for THE LOVE OF GOD, use the search button

this has been covered 1billion times and then some

honestly some people....

by the way, if you want to game, probably shouldnt get a laptop to begin with

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You need a computer with dedicated graphics card.

My MacBook Pro works fine.

If your budget is low, you can get a refurb (Apple certified) MBP under
    store.apple.com, look for "Special Deals"

12. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

nope, you're gonna have to save up a little more money and get a macbook pro. for everything else macbook is great, it works perfectly for me because i've never played a game on a computer in my life, i much prefer my PS3 console.... and even that i hardly touch.

13. CasiLindberg thread starter macrumors member

Ok thanks alot guys for the advice. I do have the money to buy a macbook pro, I just tend to be careful when spending my money. Appreciate it :D

14. Eric. macrumors regular

640x480 on a 1280x800 native LCD is going to look pretty awful. Spend the extra for a refurb MBP if you have to play games.

15. GrimmPenguin macrumors regular

If gaming is what you will do most, why not just get a regular laptop. I wouldn't bother getting a MacBook Pro. A lot of newer, high-end games will have trouble running on a MacBook. I know I'm going against the tide here, but what do you mean by "improved performance of the operating system"? If you are going to be gaming, you will more than likely have to install Windows anyway. You will probably find yourself not even using Mac OS X all that much...

If I were in your shoes, I'd just buy a high-end laptop of another brand. You'd probably get slightly better specs in another laptop for the same price as a MBP.

16. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Buy the MB and a Playstation 3. Best of both worlds and I have a great
    blu-ray player too.

17. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

That's a good suggestion, provided he never wants to play anything on the move, which I'm guessing the point of a gaming laptop was :/

Better suggestion: MBP and PS3 - means you'll get to enjoy a lot of Xbox 360 games too :D (I have BioShock, Geometry Wars and Gears of War on my Mac :D)