MacBook 13.3 Lighted Keyboard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by uncleheavy, Nov 9, 2010.

1. uncleheavy macrumors newbie

Is it possible to install a topcase from a MB990 on a late 2008 MacBook Unibody Laptop? If so, does anyone have any instructions on how to accomplish this repair?

Thank you

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

What is a MB990? If you mean the higher end late 2008 MacBook with the backlit keyboard, then yes it is possible to install it on a late-2008 MacBook that shipped without the backlit keyboard. It would be like installing a topcase without a keyboard backlight. There is just one added connection, which is the keyboard backlight cable which is somewhat difficult to insert into its socket on the logic board. Also, IIRC some of the lower-end late-2008 MacBooks came without the keyboard backlight socket on the logic board. If your late-2008 MacBook lacks that socket, you are SOL.

Here is a guide that will explain how to replace the topcase in a step-to-step fashion. This is a great site that I use whenever I take apart any of my Apple products. I have used it for my 13" MBP, my 13" uMBP (polycarbonate), and both of my non-unibody (multibody?) MacBooks.