MacBook 13.3" MB881LL/A vs MacBook 13.3" MB466LL/A

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DollarsAndGirls, May 5, 2009.

1. DollarsAndGirls macrumors member

what exactly is the difference other than the way they look?

i found a store selling the white one for a great price and im thinking of getting it. i really dont need a laptop right now but i will be needing it when i head off to college next summer (2010). do you think its worth buying now or should i wait till next summer?

any positive comments will be highly appreciated

thanks

2. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

If you don't need it, wait till next summer. By that time, the new generation Intel CPU/Architecture will most probably already be available in the MBs. :)

3. trevpimp macrumors regular

trevpimp

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11a Safari/525.20)

Yes just wait till next summer. Should have a beastly CPU by then.

4. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Save your money till next year and then enjoy your new MacBook since things will have changed a bit to say the least by then.

5. observer macrumors member

lots of subtle differences

To answer your question: both are current Macbook models. the 881 is the older plastic version, the 466 is the latest aluminum model. (I had to google to find this, and I might not have identified the models correctly. Check at the Apple web site to make sure.)

The processor is the same, and I think the graphics is the same now. Differences are in the case (the aluminum is supposed to be stronger, lighter, and more rigid), firewire (the plastic has firewire 400, aluminum has no firewire), and video output ports (plastic has mini-DVI, aluminum has mini-DisplayPort. Both need an adapter for connecting an external display. MiniDisplayPort has more capabilities and more options).

Basically, the aluminum model is newer, and is "better" unless you need Firewire, in which case it's unacceptable. Check the memory -- I think they're both DDR3 now, and have the same bus speed? They may accept 8 GB of RAM, but that's too expensive now to actually do, so it's irrelevant. Older models of the plastic MacBook have lower memory capability and older versions of the processor, so check to make sure which plastic MacBook you're looking at -- the newer model is definitely better than old ones.

But as everyone else has said, only buy now if you need it, because there will probably be a minor upgrade soon.

6. DollarsAndGirls thread starter macrumors member

7. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52