Macbook 13 3' or 15' for a DJ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dj.k86, Jun 9, 2009.

  1. dj.k86 macrumors newbie

    May 31, 2009
    Hey, i just got a macbook 10 days ago so i am still valid for the upgrade. I am a Dj running a program called Serato scratch along with some music editing software. I paid around 2,250 for this macbook and was wondering if i should upgrade to the new 15 inch with faster processor and dedicated graphics or save some money and go to the 13 inch with the 2.53ghz and integrated graphics? Any help is appreciated
  2. wilycoder macrumors 6502

    Aug 4, 2008
    You want the 15" screen for Serato. Trust me, I use Serato :)

    On a 13.3" screen you will have to hide the dock in order to click some of the crate buttons in Serato (when its in windowed mode).

    Dedicated graphics is not needed for Serato AT ALL.

    I have a black book with a crappy Intel X3100 and Serato runs absolutely flawless. You will get no benefit from the dedicated GPU when it comes to serato.
  3. tekmoe macrumors 68000

    Feb 12, 2005
    I've been using DVS for about 3 years now. Serato, Torq, and now Traktor Scratch. I've had almost every Mac notebook imagineable. 12" PB, 13" MacBook, 15" PowerBook, 17" MacBook Pro, and now 15" MacBook Pro.

    Honestly, I really loved dj'ing on the 12" Powerbook because it was so small and portable. And as of this very moment I am waiting for my local Apple Store to get their shipment of 13" MacBook Pro's so I can rush over and pick one up. Screen real-estate is not that big of a deal (for me) when it comes to using DVS.

    To each their own...
  4. djasmooth macrumors member

    May 24, 2009
    What's up man?! I am a DJ too, I use SSL and I am debating between the 2.66 MBP or the 2.8. I do Video mixing too and a good graphics card is important. I will wait for a few others to get it and then we will see!
  5. illegallydead macrumors 6502a


    Oct 22, 2007
    You are probably dandy with what you have. Music mixing/editing is not super intensive of a process. If you want a little CPU boost and a better looking screen and an SD card reader, than sure, get the updated MBP. As people have said, the video card will not make a difference, unless you do any VJ'ing or have an equalizer running or something.

    IMO, not really worth the hassle, but I guess if you can than why not?
  6. Shawny D macrumors member

    Shawny D

    May 13, 2009
    From one SSL user to another, haha! :D

    Anyhoo, I've been using my 2.0 GHz Rev.A WhiteBook for nearly 3 years now. It's plenty for what I need it to do (which is to say, sans Video-SL).

    Because I only use it to play music, I prefer the 13.3" screen for maximum portability and affordability.

    If, however, I were to ever start using Video-SL, then I probably would move up to the 15" if only because of the dedicated graphics card.

    That said, I have read posts on the SSL forum that the 9400M, the integrated graphics unit in the 13.3", is plenty for Video SL.
  7. dj.k86 thread starter macrumors newbie

    May 31, 2009
    do you think that i should keep my macbook b/c it has removible battery/hdd or just get a new one? with all this time i am having second thoughts
  8. djasmooth macrumors member

    May 24, 2009
    I know, I just thought of this..
  9. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a


    Dec 26, 2007
    The hdd in the new 13" mbp are still user removable. I'd choose the 13" mbp for increase battery life, sd, better screen and a bit more CPU power and 4g right out the box.
  10. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a


    Dec 26, 2007
  11. dj.k86 thread starter macrumors newbie

    May 31, 2009
    Think it would be possible to ask for 6gb of ram at store? How much would it cost to instal a 4gb stick?

Share This Page