Macbook 13.3 or Macbook Pro 15.4?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by akemp9, Feb 10, 2009.

1. akemp9 macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm new to these forums and somewhat new to macs. I used to use them in school a long time ago, but have built several of my own computers since then. Usually I can build a good computer for about 1/2 the cost. I finally convinced myself that I wanted to get a macbook and started reading reviews on several. I play games like WoW, counter-strike source and will probably end up using bootcamp to install windows. I wanted to know what you guys thought of the macbook 13.3 and macbook pro 15.4 for gaming purposes. I might also try to start using macbook for recording some music. Thanks!

2. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Hi, akemp9. Welcome to the forum.

Be sure to have a scoot around the forums because there are loads of threads asking the same questions.

Mac's strong point isn't gaming. It'll handle games well but not like a full windows gaming rig, so don't expect too much. I'd go for the MacBook Pro in your case. It has the better graphics capability and the screen is larger.

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

If you're serious about gaming, you'll need the MBP. The MacBook won't be able to handle your needs.

And yes, Windows under Bootcamp is the way to go for gaming.

4. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

Macbook Pro will have better performance for gaming especially if you get into some graphic intensive games on the windows side/ or mac side I guess. The bigger screen size is also better for gaming.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The games you mentioned can be played on a MacBook, but I still recommend the MacBook Pro instead. In 2 years time, who knows what types of games you'll be playing.

6. Cboss macrumors 6502

I'm not sure about Counter-Strike source, but when playing WOW on the new MacBooks I get 20-60 fps with slightly above the medium settings.

7. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

The MB can handle that kind of stuff... but the MB Pro would be better. You seem very serious about gaming... and the Pro has better graphics. Get the Pro instead.

8. akemp9 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am pretty serious about gaming, but I guess I was a little concerned about the quality of the screens. I read that the macbook pro's screen is quite a lot better. I'm going to the apple store this weekend to play around on them. Also, is it better to get the 4gb ram upgrade on the laptop or should I wait and buy the memory later and install it myself?

If you play wow on the macbook pro, how long does the battery last? Am I going to have it hooked up to be able to play?

9. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

If you're really serious about gaming, buy a MacBook and build a Windows gaming rig. If gaming is a hobby, and you don't care about playing at the very highest settings and whatnot, buy a MBP. It'll handle most current games, and should give you reasonable life going into the future.

But as I said, if gaming is a very big deal for you, then you'll want a purpose-built gaming machine, which even the MBP is not.

10. JonMcDonald macrumors member

Buy the ram yourself, it'll be cheaper. Purchasing from Apple they'll charge a ton.

You'll get about 3-4 hrs of good play before needing to be plugged in.

11. sbauer macrumors member

I just purchased a MBP and purchased the RAM upgrade from another site. I saved about 50%. So yeah, completely agree here.

12. akemp9 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, that sounds good. I play games a lot and I really am serious, not to the point where I'll get frustrated at lower fps though. As long as it plays the game at a reasonable frame rate, I don't need the high quality ingame. I guess I'll look at getting the 15.4 inch macbook pro with the 2gb ram until I can order the 4gb online. Any suggestions as to where to buy the ram from? Also, my wife is a teacher and I heard that people in the education field get discounts. Is there any catch?

Any idea on when the snow leopard OS is coming out? If it's coming out soon, I might wait to buy till then.

13. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

If you're serious about gaming, just get a PS3.

14. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Word :cool: Nowadays the only cool games on PCs are real time strategies and some multiplayer shooters, where the consoles are catching up anyway.

15. sbauer macrumors member

I got my RAM from Crucial.com. Not sure if it's the best deal out there, but I've used them before.

There is an educational discount. As far as the fine print, I'm not sure what you can't do. I'd imagine business activities would be prohibited. There is a section on the Apple store. You should probably check that out to get the full details.

16. akemp9 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a ps3 and enjoy playing games on it, but I've always utilized my computer more for online gaming specially since consoles just got around to it a couple of years ago. Plus I'm a lot better with a keyboard/mouse then some little joysticks.

17. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

If you are serious about gaming - and this is a major criterion for getting a Mac - then I'd suggest the MBP. I have one, and it is an excellent computer, terrific performance, powerful and that superb screen. The MB is a terrific computer, but robust gaming would not be its strong suit.

Cheers and good luck

18. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7