Macbook 13" A1181 won't start up

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by RichGrasa, Dec 16, 2012.

1. RichGrasa macrumors newbie

I have a 2008 A1181 13" 2.1GHz Macbook that is not starting up.

When I turn it on, the power light will come on and it will start to spin up, but about 5 seconds later it shuts off. Then a few seconds later the power light comes back on and does nothing else.

Anyone know what these symptoms could mean?

Thanks!

2. rampancy macrumors regular

rampancy

The first thing to do is to look at the display with a flashlight and see if there is indeed an image on the screen. A common problem with MacBooks late into their life is that the power inverter for the display goes bad, leading to the backlight failing.

If not, your MacBook may likely be subject to the same issue behind the notorious early random shutdown problem described here: http://maba.wordpress.com/2006/09/01/macbook-shutdown-solved-at-last-hopefully/

In the case of the former, you'll have to open up the display assembly and replace the power converter. In the case of the latter, you'd have to replace the motherboard, assuming you even want to save the machine at all.

3. RichGrasa thread starter macrumors newbie

I just checked with a flashlight, don't see anything on the screen.

I'm thinking it's the motherboard. I've tried everything I've read so far like resetting the SMC, PRAM, booting into safe mode, no change no matter what I do.

The previous owner was having the random shut down issues and gave it to me. Now it's just shutting down and not starting up at all like I previously explained.

I will prob end up getting a used motherboard off ebay, I've had luck in the past with PC laptops going that route. This is the first mac I've worked on.

4. jezzy macrumors member

is it charging?

could be dead battery.. if its not getting a charge. I'd try a dc logic input board first before doing the logic board.. runs for 10-15$

5. RichGrasa thread starter macrumors newbie

Where can I get one of those? I googled, but couldn't find anything.

6. jezzy macrumors member

7. RichGrasa thread starter macrumors newbie