MacBook 13 and long term SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by al404, Sep 19, 2014.

1. al404 macrumors 6502

al404

I was looking at new mid 2014 macbook pro 13 and discovered is only available with SSD

as far as i know SSD is not yet mature to have a life cycle like traditional HDD
    and using a proprietary SSD it will force me to ask to apple support in case of fault, and is not cheap

my macbook life cycle is about 3/4 years, and i can usually resell my laptop for a reasonable price
    i guess that in 3/4 years 128Mb SSD will be a very small unit

wich previos model of 13 retina is available with standard HDD

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

SSDs last longer than standard hard drives!!!

I think you have been misinformed, SSDs fail far less than normal hard drives, they have no moving parts and are far less likely to break. Even if you copied 100gb a day to an SSD it would still last 5 years minimum (random electronics failure aside, but any component can suffer that how often do you worry about ypur RAM failing).

More importantly there are no retina MBP's without them, part of the reason they can get them so thin and light is due to ssd form factor and no optical drive. Moving to all flash achitecture was the best thing apple did in it's notebook lineup they all fly purely because of this decision.

Also I would never reccomend anyone bought any top of the range computer without an ssd these days the improvements in everyday use far out weigh the smaller sizes with external storage so cheap and portable.

3. al404 thread starter macrumors 6502

al404

I agree on SSD performance, in my MacBook i have one and my mac mini runs from SSD on USB3 external case. Both with standard 2,5 size.

But SSD / HDD, Ram and other components can fail if i know that i can just open and replace with a standard component i feel much safe

I also think that a macbook with just 128Mb of SSD in about 3 years could be considered obsolete without an upgrade option

this can cause i high devaluation, because fix an old PC can often big pricier than buy a new one

i like apple product because the seem to keep a good value while times goes by, but with this MacBooks i feel like buying an iPad that after a couple of years is not wort to sell it

this my feeling

4. Anitramane macrumors 6502

Remember that an SSD failure is more dramatic with data loss and recovery compared with HDDs.

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

SSDs actually last far longer than HDDs.

If you look here:http://techreport.com/review/26523/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-casualties-on-the-way-to-a-petabyte

It actually shows that the 840 Pro (MLC NAND) lasted all the way past the 1 petabyte write mark and is still chugging along just fine. Note that the test performed here involved non-stop writing.

The SSDs that Apple use are also MLC NAND.

So it'll actually last you far longer than your computer.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

The Ram on the rMBP is soldered to the motherboard as well and can't be replaced either. If 128 gb is not enough then buy one with a bigger SSD, that is your best option, I got the one with 512 gb because I wanted more space.

I am sure these MacBooks will keep their price quite well, apple constantly lowering their prices has had more effect on the second hand market than anything else. iPads still hold their price quite well considering the pace at which tablet technology is making the older ones obsolete. Laptop technology has generally plateaued and the current line up will do what most people want for the next 4-5 years at least.

My feeling is that you want something that apple don't make and won't be making in the foreseeable future. So you have a choice either suck it up and buy one of apples offerings and accept the compromises or move to a windows laptop and and get the configuration you want. Good luck with whatever you choose.

7. al404, Sep 20, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2014

al404 thread starter macrumors 6502

al404

the are other options ( linux, hackintosh ) or i can keep my actual laptop :)

i did not know that RAM is soldered!
    sorry but i can't see any good reason to do it except that selling a doubled priced ram
    i'm a mac use since they switch to intel and i don't really like what they are doing

if i was evaluating to sell my old macbook to switch to a new retina one, reading about glued battery soldered ram and proprietary SSD just hold my upgrade, hope that Apple will change is mind on his hardware

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Well there are good reasons

I can think of many good reasons mainly form factor and stability but if that's not your bag then by all means wait. Things aren't going to change and all the other OEMs are slowly doing the same on their thin and light laptops but that is your call.

The writing is on the wall for upgradable electronics, especially when a tablet is all the PC many people need these days. You may not like it but you are going to have to live with it. Good luck finding what you want.

9. meson macrumors regular

There is always the 2012 cMBP that is still available. If you need a machine for the next few years and upgradability is important to you, then it's a viable option. There still isn't a huge gap in CPU performance, and you are dropping a few amenities, and gaining some built in connectivity. That's the direction I went when I needed to buy a new machine this spring and had a tight budget. Since I've upgraded the ram and swapped the HDD for an SSD, and now have the machine I wanted at a substantial savings over what an 8GB ram 256GB SSD rMBP would have cost at the time.

I'm not a fan of the upgradable components going by the wayside, but it is what it is.

Good luck in your choice. If you have an older model machine that can be upgraded and get you through the next year or so, I suspect some good things are on the horizon. If you are in need, it's time to get what you need, or look into other options.

10. al404 thread starter macrumors 6502

al404

I'm going to keep mine and wait to see what it will come up in feature.
    the main point for upgrade was display resolution and option to set as bigger display if needed

11. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Well sorry but Apple won't change and I am happy about that because my MBP stays light while having excellent battery life

12. al404 thread starter macrumors 6502

al404

when i will really need to change my macbook i will evaluate alternatives
    i can also evaluate a chromebook, a surface or a linux laptop

i was thinking about upgrade my macbook before discovering about components

even if i'm a desktop mac user and i would prefer to get a mac laptop if apple products is not satisfying me i may evaluate alternatives in last 10 years i never did