Macbook 13" and The Sims 2 AL

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by mi986, Jul 18, 2009.

1. mi986 macrumors member

Has anyone been able to get The Sims 2: Apartment Life running OK on an Nvidia GEForce 9400M based Macbook (Not Macbook Pro)?

Thx
    Kris

2. tabasco70 macrumors 6502

all of the sims 2 games run very smoothly on the new macbooks.

The "Nvidia GEForce 9400M based Macbook (Not Macbook Pro)" that you have, I have the same one. It runs great.

3. rj-300zx macrumors regular

rj-300zx

It should run pretty good since it does on my PowerBook.

4. ravenousllama macrumors member

The Sims 2 does NOT run smoothly on my mac. I have the newer MacBook aluminum with the 9400M chipset and that game can barely run 800x600 on low detail on the Mac side. However, on my Windows side it runs full-detail without ever really dropping below 30fps. I had all the expansions installed through Apartment Life, and I uninstalled it because it was simply unplayable.

I would just invest in getting it for Windows, if you have a Boot Camp/Parallels/VMware setup, and just using that. It'll likely save you a lot of hassle as I haven't seen a patch yet that addresses the horrible job EA's distributor did translating DirectX into mac-friendly OpenGL.

5. rj-300zx macrumors regular

rj-300zx

Be sure you have all the updates. I believe that it needs a Universal Binary patch. Thats most likely why it runs like ***** on yours.

6. ravenousllama macrumors member

When it ran that bad, my first instinct was "perhaps my game needs a patch." I looked around the net and the only one I could find was some sort of "combo patch" from 2008 that appeared to be Universal-friendly. I installed it and had no comparable difference in terms of performance afterward. A more specific link would be helpful, as the above patch was the only one I could find.

7. rj-300zx macrumors regular

rj-300zx

Very strange. I can't think why it runs so bad considering how good it runs on even MacBooks w/ Integrated graphics and my PowerBook.