Macbook 13" backlight won't stay off when dimmed

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by benTtown, Nov 25, 2011.

1. benTtown macrumors newbie

Hi,

I haven't posted before, but if I did it would have been many years ago. I was looking around for this info but couldn't find it specifically. I apologize if this is answered somewhere else!

I have a black 13" MacBook, I bought it in 2006.
    I'm running OSX 10.6.8

Over the last few months I noticed this: when I dim the backlight down fully, it goes black... but then after a bit of time it randomly comes back on to the lowest dim setting (without it being completely black). If I then proceed to touch the trackpad it goes dark again. I'm wondering why this is happening, and what I can do to fix it. It's particularly annoying when I'm watching something at night via mini-DVI connected to my TV, I dim the screen down so I can turn my TV off and sleep, but the backlight comes on and makes the room bright.

I know the latter issue may not sound annoying, but it is haha:p.

Thanks in advance, let me know if there is anything I can do to help (ie. specs or something)

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

Perhaps it's the settings that says "dim display before putting it to sleep".

3. benTtown thread starter macrumors newbie

The display isn't going to sleep, it's still on, but I'm running mirrored display and watching on my TV as well. I wanted to save the backlight so I would always dim it all the way down to black. I've done this for probably four years and about three months ago it just started happening. I dim it all the way to black but it will sporadically go up one 'increment' of brightness so it's not completely dark anymore

4. benTtown thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Jaybot macrumors newbie

I have the same problem, so you're not crazy.

6. Jaybot macrumors newbie

7. WstCstCmtr macrumors member

I have noticed this too.. So thanks I will uncheck it!

8. benTtown thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay I just tried it, I will see if it worked later. Will post results.

9. benTtown thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay so I haven't really checked it out long enough but I think it is fixed. I guess I should thank the original response since I believe that's what they were trying to tell me to do.

Is there really any reason for this? I mean would it be an OS version gone wrong? whereas it doesn't know the screen is fully dimmed and once the computer is periodically not touched it automatically 'dims' it darker, but in this case it is already as dark as it can go, so it actually brightens it one increment instead? Quite the odd situation but at least it's fixed (to the best of my knowledge).

thank you for everyone's help!!

Mike