Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Demosthenes427

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
Okay, basic information:

Model: 13" MacBook (White)
Year Purchased: 2007
Health Information:
Cycle Count: 393
Condition: Fair
AppleCare protection: Expired, as of late 2010.

I've had this Macbook since my senior year of high school. Now that I'm a senior in college, I've realized three things:

1) The battery bulges a decent amount (1/4 inch or so - enough to scrape against the table)

2) Whenever I rest my left hand next to the trackpad, it will start randomly clicking all over the place. Unfortunately, this has resulted in hours of lost work recently.

3) Battery capacity has been decreasing rapidly over the last month or so - I can barely get an hour out of it before it dies on me.

I've read things back and forth where people have managed to get their battery replaced for free, even without AppleCare. I've also heard stories where Macbook users have pulled 700+ battery cycles before the battery bit the dust. Furthermore, this Macbook has never been dropped, thrown, or subject to water damage.

Considering my AppleCare has expired, is there any likelihood that I can get a replacement battery from Apple for a reduced price, or am I stuck shelling out $130+ for a new battery for a 4-year-old laptop?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Apple says your battery should retain up to 80% of its capacity up to 300 cycles. You're well past that. The bulging is certainly not normal and may be the basis for Apple to elect to replace your battery. However, since your battery cycle count is high and you're not covered by AppleCare, I wouldn't have high expectations.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
I had two batteries bulge on my last MBP. The first one they replaced because it was still under Apple Care. The second one happened a month out of Apple Care and they wouldn't touch it. They would however sell me a brand new $150 battery. :rolleyes: I bought one off of Amazon instead for 50 bucks with a one year warranty that worked better than the first one Apple replaced. Go figure.

You could try taking it into a store to look at it, but they'll probably tell you the same thing since it's out of warranty. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.