Macbook 13" charges battery but can't run on battery.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by zootman55, Apr 25, 2008.

1. zootman55 macrumors newbie

I recently repaired a Macbook 13" 2.0 that had residue from a water spill on ram & logic bd. Re-assembled & found that it boots fine with AC and charges the battery fine (tried several different batteries), BUT when AC power is removed the system shuts down immediately. The system will not power on from fully charged battery either. I tried an SMC reset without success. If anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful. I have ordered a new battery charger circuit cable and will try it ASAP. Thanks

2. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Is there any residue on the battery contacts on the inside of the MacBook? Check the back of the little circuit board. Trace the cable down to the logicboard too. Make sure there is no damage in that area either.

Image from ifixit:
    [​IMG]

3. justinm macrumors member

Personally, instead of possibly voiding your warranty, just take it to an Apple store. But if your warranty is up, just go for it.

4. zootman55 thread starter macrumors newbie

can't run on battery

I was very careful to clean the top & bottom of the small circuit bd that leads to the battery terminals. I also cleaned the area that the header plugs into.

The system boots fine on AC....it will recognize AND charge any battery to capacity....it will display the current batteries actual state of charge.....it just will not start OR run on battery power.