Macbook 13" for video editing

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Napster16, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Napster16 macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I'm considering buying the Macbook 2006 for video editing....and Photoshop Cs4. Would Adobe Master Collection Cs4 run on this macbook?

That's a link to the one I'm considering...Please let me know :(

2. simsaladimbamba

There is no link.

And while a Core Duo MacBook will be able to edit video and run PS, depending on the material you have, it can be quite slow, especially with transcoding HD footage into an editable format.

3. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

hmmm that laptop is in amazing condition ;) :rolleyes:

, definitely will do the job but hd footage may be slow.

4. simsaladimbamba

A Core2Duo MacBook will be a bit faster, and also able to run the applications you want, but the amount of RAM can be hindering.

Anyway, if you don't expect it to run circles around you, that MB will do okay with editing photos in PS CS 4 and editing SD video. HD video is also possible, as noted before, but it will be slower. And you need to transcode the video, even if Premiere Pro is capable of editing with highly compressed footage, which is much more CPU intensive.

5. Napster16 thread starter macrumors newbie

Premiere pro

Premiere pro is the software I intended to use. uhm, do you think GTA San Andreas would run also? When I transcode, would the footage lose its quality....the RAW files would be 720P HD.... What about After Effects? :/

6. malman89 macrumors 68000

It'll run CS4 just fine. Upping to 4GB RAM (3.3 recognized in OSX) might be worthwhile, wouldn't cost much.

I have the exact same laptop, except with a 500 GB 7200rpm HD and 4GB RAM and I have the entire CS5.5 installed and it works well enough.

It appears like GTA San Andreas does not support this model's Intel Integrated GPU. It comes with the GMA 950. The next revision came with the X3100, which does look to be supported. Still worth a shot to try. Source: http://support.rockstargames.com/en...rand-theft-auto-iii-vice-city-and-san-andreas

7. simsaladimbamba

No.
    1. First you use a search engine of your choice to find the system requirements of the application/game via "(application name) system requirements mac" as search terms. Example.
    2. Then you find out the specifications for your Mac via the same method and "(computer, GHz / CPU type, year of release) technical specifications" as search terms. Normally you land at www.everymac.com or support.apple.com. Example.
    3. Now you compare both results, and if you are still unsure, you use a search engine to find comparisons between the two graphic cards (from the requirements and from the specifications).

No, as you probably shoot with a consumer grade camcorder, which stores the recorded footage with a highly compressive codec like H.264. During the transcode via MPEG Streamclip for example, or you import the footage via iMovie, you get a file, that is bigger and using a format and codec, that is made for editing. As you only have iMovie on standard Macs, you will be limited to the Apple Intermediate Codec, which is still an okay codec and Premiere Pro recognises it too.
    The same goes for After Effects.

And before you jump into editing, you should do more research about codecs and editing applications, as it will make your life easier, if you have knowledge about that. There are plenty of guides out there, and even plenty of threads on MacRumors Forums.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find similar threads:
    [​IMG]

8. Napster16 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all

Okay thanks to you all for the responses.....overall it is a good buy though? :)

9. malman89 macrumors 68000

I guess it's not a bad buy. I'd probably choose to save instead for something new.

10. espiritujo macrumors member

espiritujo

If money is not an issue, I'd suggest waiting it out a little bit and saving for a Pro. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I read that a new design for the Pro's are coming out this year, so that could also be a reason to wait a little bit.

11. carolineuk macrumors newbie

Mb 2006

hi, I also bought a MB 2006 ( a black one) just for doing PS and vid editing etc on it..and im getting on fine with it.

i think that most ppl will say oh...get a pro get a pro...but so what...its snobbery. at end of the day, as long as the MB can do the job...your ok...like me!

ive even got an ibook running CS and thats still making me money!
    so the jobs get done. AND ive got a pro.....but thats my maya baby so....something im tryna get onto the MB....Maya....but my SN ranout :( boo...as im not a student no more. hehe!

so yeah...glad you found one in VGC. same as me...its always a gamble buying second hand as you dont know what youre getting... my other macs i bought from new but this MB i wanted it soon as i saw it..its so cool.
    so many of my friends say how much they like it.

So....go you!
    hope all is well in the land of MB :)
    Caroline

12. Robert Davies macrumors 6502

Robert Davies

I've done video processing on that spec of MacBook, but not recently. I'd suggest updating the OS to say 10.6.8, maxing out the RAM, and sticking a large-ish 7200rpm HD in it. Video eats HD space...

It doesn't need to be done all at once and needn't cost much at all - but if I were you, I'd be looking at a new modern HD from WD - even their 5400rpm drives will be quicker than an old 80GB drive.

My BlackBook is my main day in day out machine, it's left on 24/7 and worked hard, so I have no qualms about recommending a MacBook.

-Rob

13. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I would save up your money and buy something stronger. I do video editing as well and anything more advanced than iMovie lags the hell out of my macbook (2.4GHz C2D, 2GB of RAM) which is why I got the iMac.

From experience I can tell you that the macbook can run After Effects and Premiere, I did it, but render times will kill. For a 30 second 720p clip in either I was pulling render times upwards of 20 minutes. If it was something longer, say a 5-10 minute video, I could expect it to take a few hours.

It will work, obviously, but its a large headache and hard on the machine. You're better off saving and getting something more powerful.

As a side note, Photoshop CS4 will run fine. I've had CS3 through CS5 installed on my macbook and none have any real issues. Video editing is harder on the system though.