macbook 13 hard drive question???/

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iLoveMacPro, Oct 26, 2009.

1. iLoveMacPro macrumors member

I am wondering if there is something wrong with the hard drive. I use iStat Pro. The hard drive display: Use: 77Gb Free:51Gb. While i click finder and at the bottom it said 55.3 Gb available and if i click on the hard drive and hit space bar it said: total: 159.7Gb, 55.56Gb free. Why is there different reading for the hard drive?????

PS: How do i view infor about the files???? Like if i use window, i click a like 5 files and click properties. It show me the total amount of GB for the 5 files. How do i do this on mac?

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It's because everyone else uses Base 2 to report file drive sizes while Apple decided to "think different" and report file sizes in base 10, hence, the difference. Both measurements are correct in a way, it's just using a different way of measuring it.

3. Jisuo macrumors 6502

Select the files.

Right click on one of them.

Hold down Alt, Show Info changes to Show Inspector. Select it.

4. iLoveMacPro thread starter macrumors member

I dont quite understand what you are talking about. can you explain more in detail pls.

I tried but it doesnt seem to work.

Also, i have a folder of picture in my portable hard drive. it is 900 MB. when i copy to my mac. it said only 888 MB. i dont understand why like that. some file increase the size and decrease. can anyone pls explain

5. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I don't really understand what you mean with that. I know you're right but I don't understand why. How can you measure things different? If you measure things different you should have different criterium (probably the wrong word, can't find the translation). What I mean is; when you measure in feet you get feet as an answer. And miles/hour as a speed. When I measure in meters I get meter as an answer. And Kilometers /hour as a speed. How then can apple we measure different but use the same definition? Or are they excluding certain spaces?

Or instead of explaining, could you point me to a site that explains it as clear as crystal.

Thank you

6. iLoveMacPro thread starter macrumors member

7. Jisuo macrumors 6502

A hard drive has many Bytes (B) of available space. Most operating systems count 1 Kilobyte as 1024 Byte, 1MB = 1024 KB, 1GB = 1024 MB, etc (Base 2), but hard disk makers (and now Apple) says that 1 Kilobyte = 1000 Byte, 1MB = 1000KB etc (Base 10). Hence the different numbers.

It works, can't be any more clear than that. :confused: (Alt = option key btw)

8. Zyniker macrumors 6502

This question crops up constantly in one form or another.

In short: it's complicated.

If you want more information, look up the differences between/among bit and byte. Then look up KiB, Kibit, KB, and Kbit. In general, large "B" is used for measuring file size, etc and small "b" is used for measuring transfer speeds.

Overview: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orders_of_magnitude_(data)