Macbook 13-inch, Mid 2009 Display Illumination

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gugi13, Jan 12, 2013.

1. gugi13 macrumors newbie

Hey guys!
    I've got my sisters 13-inch, Mid 2009 Macbook here, because its display illumination fails from time to time (often enough that she can't work properly).

Sometimes a P-RAM and/or SMC reset helped to get the illumination working again, but even that was just temporary.

I read a lot and have already replaced the illuminatior board as well as the attached cable - unfortunately both didn't help.

My last desperate step was baking an apple-cake - Removed the logic board and put it into the oven for 7:30min at 180°C - without success.

From time to time, when I start up the device, it works like there is no failure at all, but some minutes later it can happen that the display turns black out of the sudden.
    Sometimes then it helps to manually adjust the background lighting via the keyboard buttons (turn it to completely dark (level 0) and then quickly switch between illumination level 0 and 1 for a few times), but sometimes it doesn't and the display is just flickering shortly.

I also noticed that I can delay the failure if I turn off automatic display dimming.

When I plugin the Mini-DVI => VGA Adapter, I have a proper signal on my external monitor, but the mac-screen keeps dark (dark means no illumination, you can still see screen contents if you use a torch aim against the screen.

Does anyone have suggestions for me how go on now? Meanwhile I'm afraid that the logic board was the point of failure from the beginning.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best regards,
    Roland

Here are some more hardware details:
    Modellname: MacBook
    Modell-Identification: MacBook5,2
    Processortype: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processorspeed: 2,13 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Number of Cores: 2
    L2-Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Busgspeed: 1,07 GHz
    Boot-ROM-Version: MB52.0088.B05
    SMC-Version (System): 1.38f5

2. spyguy10709 macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

Wow... you baked your logic board before googling. If you google the problem, the first thing that comes up is the inverter. Either reseat it, or buy another inverter.

Lol

3. sparkyms macrumors 65816

I see you've changed the inverter and cable.

Had the same issue with a 2007 MacBook, it was the LCD display, and had to swap it out for a new one.

Kudos on going the whole way and baking your logic board before considering the LCD though..(?!)

4. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

5. gugi13 thread starter macrumors newbie

calm down, guys ;)

first of all, I did search the web before all of my steps...

If you had exactly read my post, you had noticed that I have already replaced my inverter board and cable, spyguy10709 ;)

baking the logic board seemed to be my last resort, because I wouldn't spend that much money on a new lcd allthough I don't even know if it causes the failure.

anyone here who can give SUGGESTIONS instead of useless comments?

I'd really appreciate your help!

Best regards!

6. sparkyms macrumors 65816

After all those steps - its most likely the LCD. Sorry I can't tell you what you want to hear :(

7. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Someone already told you the solution - new LCD.