MacBook 13-inch Mid 2010 RAM Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by szlatan, Oct 11, 2011.

1. szlatan macrumors newbie

I have Macbook 13-inch Mid 2010 and I would like to upgrade my memory cause I installed Lion OS and the built-in memory isn't enough for my use.
    I live in greece and the only compatible memory I found is this one (http://www.skroutz.gr/s/292790/Kingston-2GB-1066MHz-DDR3-Non-ECC-CL7-SODIMM.html).

My question is if this memory is truly compatible and if i can buy two of this and use it as a set to get 4GB ram for my macbook.

Thank you. :apple:

2. szlatan thread starter macrumors newbie

Macbook, NOT Macbook PRO

Thanks for the answer.
    I said that I own a Macbook not a Macbook PRO... could you please be more specific about my model?

3. dijonemon, Oct 12, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011

dijonemon macrumors newbie

According to the specs, that 2GB memory module will be compatible with your Macbook. You can install 2 modules to get 4GB. Although Apple don't specify it, you can actually put 2 x 4GB modules into the Macbook to get 8GB.

For installation instructions, see How to install memory (Mid-2010) Macbook

4. szlatan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your clear answer. Could you please tell me if there's a substantial difference between using a set of RAM and using two different cards with the same specifications? I mean that if a set of RAM (for example 2x2GB) is produced to use it as a set (and that's clearly understood), are two-one RAM able to work together as a set too?That's my problem...
    As for the specifications of the memory I was talking about previously, I think that is exactly the same with that one that Apple sells on its store.
    If I am wrong, correct me.

5. dijonemon macrumors newbie

I am running a 2GB + 1GB set up in my older MacBook and they work well together. That's 1GB from hynix & 2GB from crucial.

I don't see why different manufacturers cards wouldn't work together, particularly as long as they are the same rated memory (i.e; PC3-8500 Non-ECC). The one you posted had the same specifications as Apple. As I said before, Apple would only sell you 2x2GB however you can put 2x4GB for maximum performance. There are 4GB modules available on the greek site that you linked to before, I think they are around €22

6. szlatan thread starter macrumors newbie

7. rubencito macrumors member

memory on mid 2010 macbook

just installed 8gb of memory 2x4gb on my macbook and is working fine.

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-CT2KI...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1317596894&sr=1-1