Macbook 13" Late 2006 white model

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cellz55, Aug 12, 2012.

1. cellz55 macrumors newbie

hello im trying to fix a relatives macbook.. i think the model should br ma700ll/a or something like that..

her problem was it died.. and i dont really deal with macs im a PC kinda guy. but im pretty knowledgable in all fields of computer geekness..

i prettymuch troubleshooted her laptop to have a defective hard drive.. there was a constant clicking when you turned it on and it wouldnt show anything but a grey screen...

she bought a new hard drive i swapped the old one out.. now my problem is this.. she doesnt have the original discs. ive spent about 2 days downloading and burning so many different versions of OS X i think my head is turning into an apple..

since the hard drive is fresh i need to install an OS but im having mad trouble doing this.. at first i downloaded only stuff that would fit on a single layer dvd.. only one dvd i burnt even let me get the apple logo.. but then that quickly turned into a do not enter sign..

holding down D or command D doesnt do anything for me..
    if i boot in verbose mode.. after the appleyukon2 stuff i keep getting still waiting for root device.. and it keeps repeating still waiting for root device after the appleyukon2 stuff..

i cant do safe mode.. and when i try to boot from dvd it goes to apple logo and you see the little spinwheel under that but then it turns into the donot enter sign after a while..

any help would be greatly appreciated.. im downloading more OSX discs today and im going for diskwarrior too.. im thinking my problem is maybe due to the new hard drive being unformatted..

ive reset the pram.. ive also did the hold power button down for 5 secs while the battery is removed thingy all that.. i just wanna install OS X.. yeah i could make her go and buy the OS X DVD's but what fun is that?
    im hoping this golden master version of Tiger im downloading does the trick.. because SL didnt work..

2. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

Tiger is possibly too old for a late 2006 MacBook, depending on the version you’re trying to install. 10.6 will definitely work on it, as it works on all MacBooks. (I am typing this on a MacBook 1,1 running 10.6.8) Lion and above requires Core2Duo or better, though that should include a late 2006 MacBook.

The OS X installer will have no problem booting with an unformatted drive in the machine, you will be able to load up Disk Utility to format/partition it once it loads up.

3. cellz55 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks.. lion wont work because i have 1gb of RAM.. but im going to try 10.6

4. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

Hold the 'c' key during startup to boot from a bootable CD or DVD.

Holding 'd' is for the Apple Hardware Test DVD if I remember correctly.

5. juliorgonzalez macrumors newbie

You may be able to start up holding down the Option key; this should show you all available options to boot from.

"east85" is right the "d" is for Apple Hardware Test.