Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tjwest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2017
Hey guys, I'm looking to update my old as dirt 2008 13" Macbook (MacBook5,1 A1278) with a SSD.
It has a SATA HDD now. Just need to now what SATA connections are compatible?
I see there are like 3 different types of SATA for 2.5" when I browse retailers.

Thanks

curmudgeonette

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2016
California
I see there are like 3 different types of SATA for 2.5" when I browse retailers.

SATA 1 (1.5 GHz), SATA 2 (3GHz), and SATA 3 (6GHz) are all backwards compatible - the system will negotiate a speed supported by both the drive and computer. Your 2008 is probably SATA 2, so shop for a SATA 2 or SATA 3 drive, but don't pay a lot extra just to get SATA 3.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
I actually owned one of these from launch till 2014 when I passed it on to my brother's family (still using it). Anyway I've had an SSD in it since 2011 plus 8GB of RAM once a few updates to Snow Leopard came out that enabled it and it's been grand ever since.

Any SSD will do, some of them using older Sandforce controllers only negotiated at 1.5 Gbps when combined with the Nvidia controller on the '08-'09 MacBook/MBP's so stay away from the older SSDNow drives.

If you want something cheap and effective SanDisk has been selling 120GB drives for $59 and 240 for $85 for quite a while at BestBuy if you're in the US and have one around locally. Otherwise deals like that are quite normal and are available on Amazon, B&H Photo etc, no need for a higher end Samsung SSD unless you just want to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.