Macbook 13" Mid 2007 Hard Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Hicks., Jan 11, 2011.

1. Hicks. macrumors regular

Hicks.

First... apologies for another thread like this, but I don't want to mess things up!

My father-in-law's hard drive has just failed and I said I'd see if I could fix it. Basically the screen is grey with the folder icon and question mark and it won't get past this screen. I have tried resetting PRAMS, re-seating RAM and have booted from OSX install discs and Diskwarrior 4.2 but neither of these programmes can even see the hard drive. Also the hard drive does that quiet BEEPING sound.

So I have diagnosed hard drive failure?

OK, so assuming I'm actually correct... Would this hard drive be OK to use?

Western Digital Scorpio Blue 320GB SATA 8MB Cache 2.5 inch Internal Hard Drive

If so great. I have found the DIY replacement instructions and it looks really easy to do - just unscrew a few screws and whip it out with the white tab. He did a time machine back up on a usb external drive on the 6th January so again I assume this is fairly easy to restore?

I just boot the new hard drive from the install disc, install OSX and then restore from the install disc using the external hard drive back up?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to save him some money in these economically disastrous times, without totally messing things up in the process.

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Sounds about right.

I'm not the biggest WD fan, perhaps try for a Hitachi or Seagate drive of similar spec instead?

3. Mutinygraphiks macrumors regular

Mutinygraphiks

^^^^ agreed WD arent great HDD.

4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

The desktop drives are fine.

WD have only been manufacturing laptop drives for about four years. I've seen too many mechanical failures for my liking on laptops at work compared to the same machines with Hitachi/Fujitsu or Seagate drives.

5. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

I have always found WD drives to be the best. Ive had samsung, hitatchi and seagate all crash on me in the past, never a WD.

6. jackjack1234 macrumors newbie

Mine did the same thing!

I had to do the same thing with my mac 2007 model. its simple to do just takes time uploading all the software etc but after that you'll find that the mac seems to run better and quicker!If you got apple to replace it they will only give you and exact swap they wont let you upgrade and its cheaper to upgrade your hard drive yourself rather then let them just replace it with the same memory.

7. Hicks. thread starter macrumors regular

Hicks.

Thanks for the posts guys.

I did actually buy the Western Digital one in the end - it was cheaper! I'm hoping that it will turn up for the weekend and then the fun starts trying to get it to work.

Annoyingly, the father-in-law rang Apple today and they said the model did have an extended 3 year warrantee on the hard drive due to a manufacturing fault. Guess what? This extended warrantee ran out last month! Apple quoted £150 + VAT to fix. So if I can actually manage to do it for £45 I think he's quids in.