Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drakas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2015
Hi guys,
i just bought an old MacBook 13 PRO mid-2010 with 8 Gb Ram and a Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB.

I used the Blackmagic speed test and i attach the results with 1Gb of stress as option.

Is results rights for this SSD? I expected to see about 512 MB/s read, 266 isn't slow?

Attachments

• speed vanilla.png
    speed vanilla.png
    740 KB · Views: 72

kill00

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2012
Illinois
2010s and lower have sata 2 only. 2011 and newer have sata 3, which your SSD needs to fully use those speeds

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Your 2010 model has a theoretical maximum SATA speed of 300 MB/sec (SATA II), so you won't be able to saturate the speed of newer SSDs like the 840 EVO.

The read speed is about right, but the write does seem a little low. There could be a number of factors contributing to that: how much free space the drive has left (the less free space, the slower the performance), and possibly a lack of TRIM.

Drakas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2015
Your 2010 model has a theoretical maximum SATA speed of 300 MB/sec (SATA II), so you won't be able to saturate the speed of newer SSDs like the 840 EVO.

The read speed is about right, but the write does seem a little low. There could be a number of factors contributing to that: how much free space the drive has left (the less free space, the slower the performance), and possibly a lack of TRIM.

I launched the test when i installed a fresh version of yosemite 10.10.3.

Maybe i need to update the firmaware of the SSD?

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Maybe i need to update the firmaware of the SSD?

- It probably couldn't hurt, but I doubt that's the issue. The firmware was last updated in March '14 [EDIT: Actually, in December '13, the Mac version was March '14]. The newest version is EXT0BB6Q.

Check your version in System Information here (below).
I'd say the more likely culprit is the space and/or TRIM issue. How much free space do you have?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-11 at 17.44.50.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-11 at 17.44.50.png
    116.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Drakas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2015
- It probably couldn't hurt, but I doubt that's the issue. The firmware was last updated in March '14. The newest version is EXT0BB6Q.

Check your version in System Information here (below).
I'd say the more likely culprit is the space and/or TRIM issue. How much free space do you have?

Yes my revision is: EXT0BB6Q

At the moment i have about 228 Gb free, so a lot of space

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Yes my revision is: EXT0BB6Q

At the moment i have about 228 Gb free, so a lot of space

- Then neither of those is your issue.
I recommend enabling TRIM using TRIM Enabler. However, there are some potential issues (1, 2, 3, etc.) and pros and cons associated with it that I strongly advise you read up on. These include SMC and NVRAM resets as well as OS X updates sometimes causing boot problems. To be sure one doesn't experience those, TRIM has to be disabled before each SMC/NVRAM reset and before each OS X update.

As for myself, I use a Samsung 830 and have been running with TRIM for 2.5 years without a hitch and have had no issues when updating OS X. Others have different experiences.

EDIT: If you want, though, perhaps let the disk speed test run at 5 GB stress for a little while with nothing else running on your MBP before doing any of this. Just to be sure your test results are stable.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.