MacBook 13 mid-2010 - SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Drakas, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Drakas macrumors newbie

Drakas

Hi guys,
    i just bought an old MacBook 13 PRO mid-2010 with 8 Gb Ram and a Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB.

I used the Blackmagic speed test and i attach the results with 1Gb of stress as option.

Is results rights for this SSD? I expected to see about 512 MB/s read, 266 isn't slow?

Attached Files:

2. kill00 macrumors newbie

2010s and lower have sata 2 only. 2011 and newer have sata 3, which your SSD needs to fully use those speeds

3. JTToft macrumors 68040

Your 2010 model has a theoretical maximum SATA speed of 300 MB/sec (SATA II), so you won't be able to saturate the speed of newer SSDs like the 840 EVO.

The read speed is about right, but the write does seem a little low. There could be a number of factors contributing to that: how much free space the drive has left (the less free space, the slower the performance), and possibly a lack of TRIM.

4. Drakas thread starter macrumors newbie

Drakas

I launched the test when i installed a fresh version of yosemite 10.10.3.

Maybe i need to update the firmaware of the SSD?

5. JTToft, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015

JTToft macrumors 68040

- It probably couldn't hurt, but I doubt that's the issue. The firmware was last updated in March '14 [EDIT: Actually, in December '13, the Mac version was March '14]. The newest version is EXT0BB6Q.

Check your version in System Information here (below).
    I'd say the more likely culprit is the space and/or TRIM issue. How much free space do you have?

Attached Files:

6. Drakas thread starter macrumors newbie

Drakas

Yes my revision is: EXT0BB6Q

At the moment i have about 228 Gb free, so a lot of space

7. JTToft, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015

JTToft macrumors 68040

- Then neither of those is your issue.
    I recommend enabling TRIM using TRIM Enabler. However, there are some potential issues (1, 2, 3, etc.) and pros and cons associated with it that I strongly advise you read up on. These include SMC and NVRAM resets as well as OS X updates sometimes causing boot problems. To be sure one doesn't experience those, TRIM has to be disabled before each SMC/NVRAM reset and before each OS X update.

As for myself, I use a Samsung 830 and have been running with TRIM for 2.5 years without a hitch and have had no issues when updating OS X. Others have different experiences.

EDIT: If you want, though, perhaps let the disk speed test run at 5 GB stress for a little while with nothing else running on your MBP before doing any of this. Just to be sure your test results are stable.