Macbook 13" Pro vs Macbook 13" Unibody...?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by whyrichard, Mar 12, 2010.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hello,

Which should i buy?

A used Macbook 13" Unibody (5 hour battery life) for $800...

A slightly used Macbook Pro Unibody (7 hour battery life) for $1100

Any other significant differences? Can I later upgrade the battery to be 7 hours?

thanks,
    r.

2. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

If FireWire is important to you, get the MBPro.

3. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

I'm talking about the aluminum Macbook 13" (before they relabeled it "Pro) vs a more current 13" aluminum macbook pro...

also... if i don't care that much about firewire 800... is the older macbook aluminum unibody a good price at $800?

thanks,

r.

4. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

if it's not... think $800 is a good price? or just a fair price?

r.

5. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Wrong thread. The OP wants to know the difference between the OLD Macbook Unibody and the new 13" Macbook Pro.

OP, they are the exact same save for the battery, SD card slot, and FW800 port.

If you don't need those three things, save the $300 and get the older ALUMINUM unibody Macbook. If you do . . . then . . . you get the idea.

I'd say it's a fair price. You could always talk the seller down to $700 or $750 which is what I'd pay for the older Macbook. Find out all of the specs and punch them into www.mac2sell.com. A lot of users think they lowball the price, but they are usually the ones that think old Macs not on warranty that are a few bucks cheaper than new are worth a lot more money.

See if the seller has Apple Care, and ask about the condition of the machine. The current 13" MBP is going for $999 US with a 1 year warranty, so ask yourself if that older $800 Macbook is worth it when you can get a warrantied and barely used one from Apple for $199 more.

6. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

wow... Mac2Sell quotes it at $550! why so little?
    ... also checked the new macbook pro unibody and my current laptop, and they all come out about $300 less then they go on los angeles' craiglist... (so at least it's consistent)

r.

7. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Advantages MBP over MB:
    - Better battery (+2Hrs, +700 loadcycles)
    - FW800
    - SD Card slot
    - Backlit keyboard
    - and the most important: a significantly better screen!

Disadvantages:
    Combined audio in/out.

8. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

very compelling...

but given that it is my on-the-go mac, not my primary mac, perhaps i should opt for the lesser. the only thing i would miss day to day is the battery life...

...i think..

r.

9. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I forgot about that backlit keyboard. I've been spoiled by Powerbooks and Macbook Pros, I'd go for the newer one just for that.... but as you said it's not a primary, so saving some cash is a plus.

It's $300 cheaper because that's what it's really worth. Everyone wants to charge top dollar for their mac because it's a mac. In the end, it's a piece of used electronics that ONLY the seller knows what it's been through.

I wouldn't tell the guy $550, but $650 - $700 is a good start for a machine that's a year old, may not have Apple Care, doesn't have the specs of a new machine with Apple Care that can be had for $200 more, and a machine that's USED.