Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andy348

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 18, 2009
Montreal
I'm about to drop $200 on my white MacBook for applecare. I really like this machine, except for the graphics power. I've got the 128MB video ram, which is, to me, the only flaw of this system.

Now I know I'm getting a 24" HD monitor for my birthday, and I want a Mac hooked up to that along with my Xbox 360. I'd contemplate hooking this machine up, but last time I did, I ended up with a semi-warped hinge because of the heat (I used it with the lid closed). So its either I try to sell this machine quickly, take the $200 I would put towards Applecare and buy a refurbished Aluminum MB w/ the 256MB graphics, or I buy a Mac Mini.

The Mac Mini is definitely my preferred option, because then I'd keep this machine and buy the Mini, but would it be able to power a 24" screen watching Youtube videos and such?

And what model should I be looking for?

Thanks

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago
The graphics chip in the mini is the exact same as on macbook pros without discreet graphics. The nVidia 9400m uses 256 mbs of the system's ram and in my experience, is fine for powering a 24" ACD. They have the two working together very harmoniously. I'm assuming whatever brand monitor you get the mini will be able to display it at 1920x1080.

Not a great gaming machine but hey, its fine for what you're talking about. I believe some of the imacs use the same gpu. Again, ones without discreet graphics.

Given that it will automatically wire 256 mb of the ram to the gpu, I would highly recommend upgrading to 4 GB of ram (aftermarket, of course).

I had an unibody macbook 2.0 ghz with the same exact graphics chip as in the mini and the same processor, and it worked a 24" ACD just fine as I remember. I did end up trading in for a 13" mbp. Either way, Its the same stuff I'm using and it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.