Macbook 13" Rubber issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tonyt3rry, Feb 8, 2011.

1. tonyt3rry macrumors member

Hi Ive been wanting to get a macbook for a while but I dont have much money to save up for one, I have recently got more money due to apple deciding to give me a refund on my ipad after 3 going on 4 replacements I have now got 750 pounds so student discount and apple care will get me it for 800 thing is ive read alot about the rubber issue is this a common thing and has it been resolved yet, as im really wanting to pull the trigger and buy one but this is the only thing stopping me. the air isnt as apealing as people are saying it doesnt handle hd videos that well. my desktop i3 handles hd fine but id like hd on the go too and maybe some css or lfd2

2. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

well, the macbook + macbook pros are getting an update probably in february, or in march at the latest. just wait for those .

3. tonyt3rry thread starter macrumors member

I just hope its not too long , I really want to be able to game, my desktop needs a graphics card then its complete, but I dont want to spend money on that then loose out on getting a mac

4. bryanc28 macrumors 6502

bryanc28

I would hold off for a bit longer. I, too, am in the market for a MacBook. I am hoping the upcoming refresh Apple gets rid of the rubberized bottom.

5. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

i don't understand what rubber are you guys talking about.
    @op, the current macbook is fine for gaming if you'd like but i still suggest you wait till the next one :)

6. altecXP macrumors 65816

The bottom of the MacBook is rubber.

7. tonyt3rry thread starter macrumors member

if you google it you will see that after a few months the rubberised bottom of the macbook comes loose it seems like a design flaw. I really want to get my macbook while i have the money, I dont fancy paying all sorts for a overpriced machine (macbook air)

8. Storm Aiden macrumors newbie

Hi Ive been wanting to get a macbook for a while but I dont have much money to save up for one, I have recently got more money due to apple deciding to give me a refund on my ipad after 3 going on 4 replacements I have now got 750 pounds so student discount and apple care will get me it for 800 thing is ive read alot about the rubber issue is this a common thing and has it been resolved yet, as im really wanting to pull the trigger and buy one but this is the only thing stopping me. the air isnt as apealing as people are saying it doesnt handle hd videos that well. my desktop i3 handles hd fine but id like hd on the go too and maybe some css or lfd2

View Complete Thread with Replies:confused:

9. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

holy ****, thank you for that! didn't know it! and i wanted to get the white macbook on the refresh, i guess i'm gonna get the mbp...
    btw isn't that rubber flaw covered by warranty? I mean it's their fault...

10. tonyt3rry thread starter macrumors member

its when the machine runs out of warenty is what worries me, I dont mind paying a store a visit now and again but not when its a really bad issue that keeps coming back I know everything has a little problem every now and again but this seems to happen to most of them out there

11. vistadude macrumors 65816

The macbook bottom is metal, I think aluminum, with a rubber coating. The rubber doesn't seem to peel off in my 1.5 year old macbook, but it can be scratched with sharp metal. I'd say it's very hard for the rubber to peal off unless you have your macbook in an oven.

The macbook is by far not a laptop for handling HD or games. The display cannot achieve widescreen 720p or 1080p, and the graphics card, processor, and sound card is too weak for gaming.

12. tonyt3rry thread starter macrumors member

you are refering to a 09 model tho, the graphics chip was changed with the mid 2010 model wasnt it to. if the macbook pro with same specs can handle it im sure the macbook can

13. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

The MacBook can handle 720p. Its resolution is 1280x800. 720p is 1280x720. Obviously, 1280x800>1280x720.
    Yes, the 320m GPU found in the current MacBook is quite capable.

14. vistadude macrumors 65816

Ooops, my bad, I thought 720p was 1366 x 768. Not sure where I got 1366 from.

15. tonyt3rry thread starter macrumors member

16. vistadude macrumors 65816

The rubber thing is uncommon. I've never seen anyone have it except in internet posts.

17. tonyt3rry thread starter macrumors member

I know only people post stuff that isnt working as the ones who dont post are fine, BUT if a good google search gives up the same 8 month period wouldnt this mean something?

18. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

Just wait for the updates, they're coming soon. They will probably fix the rubber issue (if they are aware of it, they will).

19. tonyt3rry thread starter macrumors member

I have a feeling the macbook will be discontinued leaving me to have to pay more than what I can afford on the macbook pro

20. bryanc28 macrumors 6502

bryanc28

Oh God, I hope they don't get rid of the Macbook 13" :(

21. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

This is a common resolution for TVs that do "1080p" but don't actually have the resolution for it. They claim 1080p because they're displaying higher resolution than 720p and taking a 1080p signal and downsizing it. My TV does this.

1366x768 is a 16:9 ratio, just like 1080p and 720p. 1280x800, OTOH, is 16:10.