Macbook 13" running super slow (basically unusable)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by phuzisham, Aug 22, 2011.

1. phuzisham macrumors newbie

I would really appreciate some help with this. I've had my macbook about two years. Yesterday I left it on until the battery was dead. Instead of rebooting the last session it just restarted. Now it will run smooth for a few seconds and then the cursor does the wait thing for like 5 minutes. It does this with all programs. I have restarted it many times. Im writing this on my phone because it won't let me do anything without freezing. It has a 2.0ghz processor and 2gb of ram.

2. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

3. phuzisham thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks...

That seems to have done it. I really appreciate it.

4. phuzisham thread starter macrumors newbie

I may have spoke too soon...

That really speeded it up from the way it was but it's still almost unusable. Before I finished that first sentence it froze up twice on me with the little wait signal and when I clicked my profile picture at startup it made me wait about five minutes before I could type my password. I ran disk utility twice and it said it was fixing things both times. Do I need to keep running it until it says its clean? Any other ideas?

5. ThinkDif'Rent macrumors newbie

Are you running Lion? This probably isn't your issue if it is running that slow but after I installed Lion, I upgraded from 2gb to 4gb of Ram and it increased my speed immensely. Lion's bare minimum is 2gb but you need at least 4gb to let it reach its full potential.

6. phuzisham thread starter macrumors newbie

Lion

No I haven't installed Lion...nothing new this just happened out of the blue.

7. ahbdesign macrumors member

It could be faulty RAM sticks, because when i got my macbook 13", it started freezing up in first two weeks, expose would hang, and other programs would hang and freeze randomly and then it just wouldn't switch on at times.

8. S1Mac macrumors newbie