MacBook 13" sleep light questions

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iBook_Clamshell, Aug 30, 2014.

1. iBook_Clamshell macrumors member

What actuates the sleep light on a 2006 macbook?
    I want to hook up a small motor so that when you shut the lid, it turns for a second, and when you open the lid, it does it again, except the other way. What is the voltage running to the sleep light and what is the best way to do this?
    Thanks in advance...

2. CaffeinatedNoms macrumors member

CaffeinatedNoms

From memory (my old MacBook is on holiday with a friend) the sleep light and IR receiver are on a tiny board that is glued onto the inside of the framework, and only the data cable to the two can be removed. The cable is not a simple power +/- cable so I doubt you could just identify the LED's +/- link and reroute it.

3. iBook_Clamshell thread starter macrumors member

I found the sleep light/IR receiver but unfortunately(or fortunately?) I broke the ribbon cables that connect them.:mad:
    I think I can repair them, and I wanted to move the sleep light and hard drive, so I'd need a longer cable anyway.
    Do you know what makes the sleep light turn on when you shut the lid?

4. CaffeinatedNoms macrumors member

CaffeinatedNoms

The sleep light is actuated by a subroutine on the motherboard; more than that I don't know. I know it must be at least partially software controlled because it also turns on when the display is turned off.