MacBook 13" (Summer '07?) to MacBook Pro 15" (i5)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Skittllez, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Skittllez macrumors newbie

Hi guys, first post here :D

I have had my white 13" macbook for about 2 and a half years. About 1 year in to it my sister broke the screen, and I have not repaired it due to the fact that Apple charged $800 or whatever it is ($400?) and I couldn't afford that, so it has pretty much been lying around for one and a half years. Now I have realized I can get it done for about $200 or less. It is pretty basic, with 1GB Ram, 2.16 Ghz C2D and 120 GB HDD.

I like to do video editing using iMovie and Final Cut on my iMac (2GB Ram, 2.66 GHz C2D) but i would like to be able to do that on-the-go as well. As I am a student too, it would make sense for me to have a laptop as well/ in addition to a desktop computer.

Here are my questions:

1. I'm thinking about the 15" MacBook Pro, the basic model, but would I notice a large difference between the new and old? If so, what would they be?
    2. How about the differences between the iMac? (performance wise)
    3. With a broken screen, what do you think my old computer is worth?

Thank you very much for your time reading this, and ANY help would be greatly appreciated... :D

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

1. You would see a difference, as it has four times more RAM and can handle twice as much threads at a faster speed.

2. Noticeable, but not very much. But MBP has twice the RAM.

3. You could use it as Server via Screen Sharing or use eBay to find out prices.

3. Skittllez thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply,

So it seems like a wise move to upgrade, but what do you mean by using it as a server via Screen Sharing?

And also, would it be wise to fix the screen then sell as a good condition computer?