Macbook 13 - Unibody - Battery Life

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rodrigosilva, Jun 14, 2010.

1. rodrigosilva macrumors newbie

Feb 14, 2009
    hey guys

i've had my macbook for over an year right now... to be more exact, we've been together for 1 year and half, and i've noticed that my battery doesn't last as long as it used to when i first bought it... when it's unplugged and i'm using only the internet(wifi on), the screen brightness is half-way filled, it lasts around 2 hours and half, 3...

i was wondering, is it normal? i mean, when i bought it, it used to last 5 hours, and back then it was perfect... i kinda need a better perfomance... can i do something to improve it?

2. Pax macrumors 6502a

Dec 12, 2003
    Look in System Profiler under the "Power" field
    Under Battery condition your battery should be "Good" or "Normal"
    If it's "check" or "replace" you need a new battery
    Your Full Charge Capacity should be something like 5000 mAhr

If your battery is bad and your cycle count is low (less than a few hundred) you should talk to Apple, they say on their website the battery is good for 1000 cycles. But I don't think they give a warranty on the battery for that long - a gray area????
  3. vistadude macrumors 65816

Jan 3, 2010
    He's not fine if the battery is lasting way below it's spec. Either he should have it replaced or buy a new one. 2.5 hours is too short for a laptop for it to be useful.

4. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

May 12, 2010
    Prescott, AZ
    Yeah, you might want to look into getting the battery replaced. Personally, 2 and a half hours would still most likely work for me, but I'd do what has already been suggested, and look at the system profiler's battery information.
  5. AndyK macrumors 65816

Jan 10, 2008
    Get it replaced. I have the built in battery on the new macbook & it lasts me anywhere between 7 and 9 hours with the screen brightness on around a third.

Mostly only forum browsing / email / world processing. Nothing too intensive, it's win.
  6. nicksmac macrumors newbie

Mar 19, 2010
    what you should do is go to apple and get a wiget called isat pro and it will give you the health of your battary and a lot of other stuff to. but get that and look at what your bat. life is and if it is under 75 then get a new battery but if it is above hook up your mac to the charger and leave it there for a day and then look at isat and see were it is then.:apple: