Macbook 13" unibody freezing - help

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by muskett32, Sep 12, 2009.

1. muskett32 macrumors member

My 13" Macbook has been doing this almost daily recently. It will just lock up or freeze. Not with the spinning beach ball or anything. Just freeze. The mouse pointer just won't move and the caps lock key won't work, nor alt-command-esc. I have to power down the laptop and restart.

Is there anything I can look at to determine what may be causing this? Any logs or anything?

Thanks!

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Did you try putting the Apple RAM back in...and if you did, did that fix the issue?

You really should have mentioned in THIS thread that you're running 3rd party RAM, as that's a common problem point. I read in the other thread you posted in that this is the case with your computer.

3. muskett32 thread starter macrumors member

True. I should have mentioned that, but this has actually happened recently. I have a feeling it may be a software problem with something I have installed and Snow Leopard. Is there anywhere I can look that may log the error?

4. muskett32 thread starter macrumors member

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Did you try running it with the factory RAM? If not, anything you check may be null and void as the new RAM could be the issue. Software testing it may be fine, but Macs can be very picky/sensitive with aftermarket RAM.

If the factory RAM fixes the issue, you're problem is solved. I mean, I'm glad you have a feeling it's software and all, but try the obvious first!

6. DPB17 macrumors 6502

Try resetting the PRAM and VRAM. If you don't know how to do that-www.google.com