Macbook 13" Unibody Screen Replacement Help (Model A1278)

dmw16

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011
I am attempting to fix a broken LCD screen for a friend in an A1278 13" Macbook.

I ordered the LCD from iFixIt and installed it. However, upon boot up I get the grey screen with the Apple Logo, the Grey Pinwheel, and a Progress bar. The Progress bar progresses about 1/10 of the way, pauses, then goes away leaving just the still spinning grey pinwheel.

The grey pinwheel will spin forever so far as I can tell (I've left it overnight).

A few notes:
* I've tried two LCD cables. Neither worked.
* The iSight camera fell out at first, I think I hooked it up properly. If I did't would that cause this issue?

Thanks in advance.

More Info:
* I checked the hard drive, everything seems properly connected. Other than the LCD the macbook was working prior to disassembly.
* I put the original LCD back in and the issue seems to persist.

Last edited:

g4manimac

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Arkansas
Sounds more like a hard drive problem to me because if you can clearly see the apple logo with no distortions on the screen the lcd is likely good to go and I would check all the hard drive connections and if you have one try a different hard drive or boot it in target disc mode if you have another mac and the right cables.

dmw16

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Sounds more like a hard drive problem to me because if you can clearly see the apple logo with no distortions on the screen the lcd is likely good to go and I would check all the hard drive connections and if you have one try a different hard drive or boot it in target disc mode if you have another mac and the right cables.
It doesn't get to the point of responding to any of the keyboard commands as far as target disk mode, etc. Maybe I'll toss in an OS X disc and see what happens? I will also check the hard drive cable.

Thanks.

Please keep the ideas coming. This repair is for a non-profit group my wife works with and I'd really like to get them this "new" computer.