macbook 13" will not power up

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rubencito, Aug 2, 2011.

1. rubencito macrumors member

Hi, wondering if someone here can help. I have this macbook that was left in a car over winter for about a month, my cousin had tried to get it going, however he gave up. I am now trying to revive this beast and was wondering if I can get some help.
    When I plug the 60 Watt MagSafe Power Adapter, the light turns green, when I push the power button nothing happens not even a sound or an attemtp of the light to go on. I have read that if the battery is faulty it will not allow it to turn on. Any help on this matter would be appreciated, I am pretty handy and willing to try anything. I have removed the bottom cover and everything looks good.
    The 2.4 GHz, 13-inch white MacBook, includes:
    13.3-inch glossy widescreen 1280 x 800 display;
    2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB shared L2 cache;
    800 MHz front-side bus;
    2GB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, expandable to 4GB;
    250GB Serial ATA hard drive running at 5400 rpm, with Sudden Motion Sensor;
    a slot-load 8x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW) optical drive;
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100;
    Mini-DVI out (adapters for DVI, VGA and Composite/S-Video sold separately);
    built-in iSight video camera;
    Gigabit Ethernet port;
    built-in AirPort Extreme 802.11n wireless networking and Bluetooth 2.0+EDR;
    two USB 2.0 ports and one FireWire 400 port;
    one audio line in and one audio line out port, each supporting both optical digital and analog;
    Scrolling trackpad; and
    60 Watt MagSafe Power Adapter.

2. StockDC2 macrumors regular

That is false. Even if there is no battery, if the Macbook is connected to an outlet, it will start up.

I would just take it to the Apple store and get an assessment. It will either be your memory, topcase, logic board, or magsafe board.

3. rubencito thread starter macrumors member

I guess I found my problem, after taking the bottom cover apart again I noticed some green death on the board, I am now gone try and take it apart and see if I can clean it with alcohol and a brush, I think is worth a try.
    What I need from you guys is to know which special tools I need, a name or a part number. I have torx bits with security pilot, I know I need the special screwdriver to remove the battery, I have found it on ebay. Anything else I need please help gone tackle this one as soon as I get all the tools.

4. StockDC2 macrumors regular

5. StockDC2 macrumors regular

Tool to remove the battery? The preunibody Macbooks don't need a special tool to remove the battery.

You need a screwdriver and torx bits. Nothing else.

6. *Emilia* macrumors newbie

Sounds like a logic board. Mac now has a flat rate repair where they send it out to one of their repair facilities. If it isn't physically damaged it would be 280 plus tax to fix anything that is wrong. I had my logic board replaced after my macbook wouldn't turn on in April. Three months later the battery would hold a charge but not charge the battery, so because i was still within the three month warranty i sent it back and they again replaced the logic board, plus the bottom case that has stress cracks in the side where the screws are. The first people i talked to at the Genius bar tried to change the magsafe board which didn't solve the problem then told me because of the cracks on the side it wouldn't charge, and because it was a separate issue from the first repair they couldn't do anything. (false since it could still run off the battery) Well i ended up going back and talking to someone else. They told me because the repair facility tests the computer and guarantees that it is "all" in working order, all the parts that they say are working is included in the warranty. So it was all covered under the first. good luck... i was happy with the tiered repair plan.

7. rubencito thread starter macrumors member

Now can you expand on that, where did you take your macbook? was your macbook still under warranty and any other info you can supply me with would be a plus. I have cleaned the board with alcohol and I will put it together tomorrow and see if it fires up. will keep you posted.

8. rubencito thread starter macrumors member

It is definetely an A1342

9. StockDC2 macrumors regular

Then you definitely have your specs wrong. A1342 only came with DDR3 memory and an Nvidia GPU.

10. rubencito thread starter macrumors member

True enough, you are right on the money, when I copied and pasted that info I took it from one that was on the internet on sale and it had most of what I had in my macbook, I apologize if I made you feel unconfortable, obviously you are a mac guru and I respect that, I am only trying to learn by doing and reading as I go along. I thank you for your input.
    Once I figured out how to read my model number I realized that it was an A1342 and that is why I posted my response.
    Again I apologize if I made feel unconfortable.

11. *Emilia* macrumors newbie

I took it back to the apple store genius bar, where they offered the tiered repair at one of their facilities. It was not under warranty any more. If you choose the tiered repair of $280 plus tax every component in your computer that they "claim" to be in working order after they return it to you is under a 90 day warranty.

It is a great program, you might be able to call apple if there is not a store near you to send it in to a repair center.

12. StockDC2 macrumors regular

Hey, no worries at all. I was just letting you know. I was definitely not trying to attack you. I'm sorry if it came off that way.

As for the suggestion that Emilia mentioned, they will only offer the $280 repair if your computer has NOT been subject to water damage (which yours might have been). If it also looks like your computer has been tampered with (stripped/missing screws), they will not offer you the service.

13. rubencito thread starter macrumors member

I phoned apple and they informed that my computer was on its last day of warranty, they offered to sell applecare and I bought it. However when I took it to the store they told me it had water damage and said it was not covered under warranty. To make a long story short I phoned apple customer relations and they offered to repair it at no charge since I had purchased applecare on a one time only basis. Great service I took it in in the am and they had fix in the afternoon.
    No wonder they are the number one company in the world .

14. *Emilia* macrumors newbie

great to hear. I think sometimes it really depends on who you talk to there. The first person i talked to said "no" while the second said "yes". When i asked shouldn't the first person known this... his reply was "one would think"