macbook 15 inch external display with full resolution

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nishi100, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

I've just bought a MBP 15" and am wondering if i can connect a 24 inch monitor too make it a extended display.

Can someone make a recommendation on what monitor (24 inch) display to buy?
    and
    Which connector to get so i get full resolution on the external display?

2. kolax macrumors G3

Of course.

What connector you need depends on what monitor you go for. Most monitors now use either DVI or DisplayPort (ones with HDMI should have DVI too).

Apple's 24" Cinema Display requires no adapter, but the likes of Dell and other manufactures that use either DisplayPort or DVI. So you'd need Mini DisplayPort (what your Mac has) to either DVI or DisplayPort.

Most likely, the adapter you'll need will be Mini DisplayPort -> DVI. Apple sells it for $20 or around that.

3. rouse2 macrumors newbie

What LCD? You probably should google for suggestions on that question. I ordered a Dell U2410 for my new 15" MBP. You'll need an adapter cable to go from the Mac's mini-displayport to whatever your LCD has. The U2410 has a normal displayport so I ordered a mini-displayport to displayport cable (male-male). There are lots of options out there though.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It supports up to 2560 x 1600 on an external monitor which can be looked up at the technical specifications page Apple was so nice to put online for almost everyone to see.

[​IMG]

Also the adapter depends on what monitor you get, but most likely you will use the miniDsiplayPort to DVI adapter, which can be had at the Apple Online Store, almost every Apple Authorized Reseller, or www.monoprice.com, which offers a cheaper alternative.

As we don't know what you want to view on that external monitor, we might not recommend you the best one for your needs.
    Maybe you can tell us what you want to do with that monitor, or an alternative would be to use MRoogle, as this questions comes up every day or two.

http://mroogle.*************/MRoogle.gif

5. Nishi100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies,

I would be using the 24" for:

• a lot of Hd editing in after effects
    • Some Photoshop Work
    • Watching some Hd movies
    • (and casual stuff would be done on my MBP like, web browsing, documents etc.)

I was considering the Apple Cinema display, however I can get a lot of monitors for cheaper. preferably I would like, Samsung, Sony, Dell etc.

6. harmonica01 macrumors 6502

7. Nishi100 thread starter macrumors 6502a

To "see" in HD, on this screen, wouldn't I need a Mini Display-Port to HDMI cable, or can i just buy the Mini Display-Port to VGA (keeping in mind I want to "see" in HD).

8. mattgoldey macrumors member

Check out TechBargains.com. Watch it for a few days because deals come and go. I was able to pick up a Dell 23" LCD for $149 including a 3-year advanced replacement warranty.

The monitor I have is the Dell S2309W, and I like it a lot.

9. miamialley, Oct 23, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2011

miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I wonder this also.

I'm using an adapter to go from mini display to HDMI and am not getting full resolution on my external.