Macbook 15 inch SSD Early 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dekard, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

Just installed a second drive in my Macbook, took out the Superdrive and the drive works, I see the new SSD and I see the now external Superdrive, but trying to figure out how to use Bootcamp now, I'd like to install Windows7 on my second hard drive, but once it reboots to install I get a blinking cursor and it doesn't go past that...

any ideas?

2. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

no too sure, you are holding option/alt before booting? I do not use windows but I would love to troubleshoot with you.

you have the mac os on you're ssd? and the windows one on you're optical hdd? and lastly, what version of os are you using? and does it boot up okay?

3. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Windows can't be installed from an external drive. The macbook air and mac mini can do it as apple modified the EFI to make it work.
    Your options are:
    1) Put the drive where you want to install Windows in your main bay and return the superdrive to its original place.
    2) Do a search for macbook air efi hack for your computer. No experience here.

After you do either of these steps use apples bootcamp software and install windows.

4. Dekard thread starter macrumors 6502

Dekard

Thanks, yeah I opted for take the mac drive out put the superdrive back in right after the reboot for Bootcamp, installed Windows then put the Mac drive back in and now got 256GB SSD for the MAC OS X, and a 240 GB SSD for Windows7 and my video games. The Superdrive is now my external USB drive. :)