Macbook 15" pro retina scratched out of box - bought from reseller

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Helloforum, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Helloforum macrumors newbie

Hi. so just yesterday i purchased a mac pro 15"retina from a reseller store called buy n cell (they have horrible customer service dont go there..) and i had someone else pick it up for me at the store. When he was picking up the mac for me he didnt carefully inspect for scratches or anything he just made sure it worked and put it back in the box and brought it home. now i was out for volunteering and when i came home about 5~6 hours after the pick up i opened it up and carefully inspected it and i found a long horizontal scratch on the aluminum part above the keyboard. so i immediately took it back to the store and explained that it has a scratch on it and that if i can get a replacement, and they said NO and told me that i caused the scratch because i came back 6 hours later and they were basically blaming me for it. so i called apple and told them the situation but they told me they cant replace it because i didnt buy it from apple. is there any way i can get this replaced at apple? i read some forums where people bought from best buy or ebay and got it reppaced at apple due to scratch out of the box.

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I'm assuming the box wasn't sealed when you bought it? If its a second hand unit why should apple refund it?

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

Apple did not sell you the machine, so why should they replace it?
    It's up to the seller to replace it if there is a cosmetic defect.

apple warranty will cover things like the SSD failing; it does not cover cosmetic damage.

4. Helloforum thread starter macrumors newbie

No it was completely sealed everything was brand new. they got it manufactured straight from apple. however it came with a scratch.

5. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Then if it was sealed and scratched you should be entitled to a refund or replacement from the store.

6. Bear macrumors G3

If you paid with a credit card, call the credit card company and explain the store isn't being reasonable.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

But you didn't personally open it and inspect it, so how can you be sure it was really new and packaged never previously opened?

8. Helloforum thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes i should be, but the store owner is basically blaming me for this and is not giving me a refund or a replacement...this is really bummy

----------

Because all the plastic wrap and everything came in the box and i was told that it was sealed when it was picked up

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

well...is the problem just cosmetic or does something not function properly?

10. Helloforum thread starter macrumors newbie

Just the cosmetic!