MacBook 15in-Hi-Res Display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by koulmj, Apr 24, 2013.

1. koulmj macrumors 6502

So I'm just now thinking that i would be just as happy with a 15in MacBook Pro over a 21.5in iMac...but why is there two different types of screens I can get?

I get the point of ordering the Anti-Glare but do people notice the difference between the "MacBook Pro 15-inch Glossy Widescreen Display" and the "MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Display"?

2. simsaladimbamba

One display has 1440 x 900 pixel, the High Resolution variant has 1680 x 1050 pixel. The difference is higher pixel density and more screen real estate, thus it is noticeable by users, who need or use more pixels.

Personally I found the 15" with its 1440 x 900 pixel (before the HR variant arrived in 2009) quite limiting and fared very well with a 17" MBP and its 1920 x 1200 pixel and would have liked having at least 1680 x 1050 pixel on a 15" MBP (again, before the actual HR variant arrived in 2009).

3. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

If you are an artist or photographer, you might love looking at glossy screen all day long. :apple:

4. simsaladimbamba

Due to the mirror and the love in oneself?

5. negativzero macrumors 6502

I got the Hi-Res antiglare one, and its a treat to use :)
    Personally I wouldn't bother with the glossy one, too much reflection on that.

6. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I have the anti-glare 15" MacBook Pro from June 2012 and I wouldn't trade it for anything; I love it. It's so nice to work on my computer without seeing myself and/or the lights in the ceiling in the reflection. If its within your budget I highly recommend upgrading to the hi-res anti-glare screen, you won't regret it.

7. CitrusPisser macrumors member

Antiglare is harder on the eyes from my experience. I can look at the regular screen all day and it's barely fatiguing. If i'd had a little extra cash i would have gone the Hi-Res glossy screen on my 15 inch. Having come from 1900 x 1200 on my old 17 inch the lower res took a little getting used but now that i have i almost prefer it in some ways.

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

"I highly recommend the glossy screen over other options" - Narcissus

9. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I bought a second hand 15" MBP with the glossy HiRes screen. The increased resolution is noticeable (the seller had a standard resolution machine to compare to).

The PPI of the standard resolution screen is 110, compared to 128 of the HiRes screen. Incidentally, the 13" MBA screen is also 128.

I prefer the glossy screen compared to the anti-glare. It just looks "nicer".

10. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

I have the 2012 15" anti-glare, and I love it. Whenever I use one with the glossy screen, I get annoyed with seeing my own face looking into the screen, and seeing every single light bulb and bright object reflected in the background behind me. If not for those dang light bulbs and the rest of the world behind me, the screen would look great.

The glossy screen looks great when the laptop is off, and you've just cleaned it!

11. koulmj thread starter macrumors 6502

I might have to drive to an Apple Store and look at them side by side.

But knowing tht one has more resolution than the other for just the 90$(Education Store Prices) means I will get one of the two upgrades, thanks guys.