MacBook 17" depreciation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gochi, Dec 11, 2012.

1. gochi macrumors 6502

so are the 17" macbook pros going to be worth more in the future, or not depreciate much?

2. simsaladimbamba

They will not be getting worth more, they are not rare items like Obtainium. They might depreciate not as fast as other Macs, but then again, who knows, as there is no official statistic out there showing you how many 17" MBPs of each generation are out there.

I myself use a 2009 17" MBP and I still like it. It is not the best notebook I ever had, that was the 2004 G4 iBook, which was sturdy as ****.

3. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

Nobody knows. Apple can produce 17" rMBP next year and that would kill the current 17" MBP value.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

With very rare exceptions, all computers depreciate in value over time. Your MBP, even in pristine condition, will not appreciate in value.

5. bjm2660 macrumors 6502

You mean Unobtainium!

6. jdsingle macrumors regular

I do not think it is going to appreciate. The depreciation of value may be slower due to the lack of 17" offerings of new rMBP. Why would you get rid of it anyways? The 17" is phenomenal. Slap an SSD in there with 8GB - 16GB of RAM and you're money. Runs like a bat out of you know where.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

According to my Apple girl, the ones that are sought after are the matte screen versions....The high res glossy models ( like mine) are not likely to gain in value, which is why I'm strongly considering selling my mint condition now. Trouble is, I'm still not certain that the 15" rMBP is going to make up for the loss of real-estate...I can't see Apple making another 17" and I have no desire to own a Windows laptop...Decisions decisions..:)

8. WestSt macrumors member

Why can´t you see another 17" coming? Hope you´re wrong. I mean, I really, really, hope you are dead wrong:(

9. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If you're as happy with yours as I am with mine, keep it. Cram the ram and add an SSD to use it for as long as you're happy with it. I imagine I'll easily use mine for the next 2-3 years.

And ALL electronics depreciate in value. Period. True, the 17" may not depreciate as quickly as others due to their relative scarcity and appeal as wide screen, high res alternative to retina, but it will go down in value. Macs may be the gold standard in computers, but it doesn't make them the equivalent of investing in gold itself.

Enjoy your machine.

10. Ploki macrumors 68000

To be honest, retina can handle the Hires version 15" and fullHD for real-estate. Apple is going towards portability, and 17" is hefty to lug around.

11. WestSt macrumors member

Well, I'm probably out in a few years time then... You're objectively right about the rMBP 15", but from what little I've tried it, it still feels like I need to sit 1" from the screen and it's not the same "feel" to it (BTW I have perfect vision). But then my hobby is video editing and motion graphics, so I probably could do better with a desktop anyway. Just that with the 17" it's just enough real-estate to do the job, and I really enjoy being able to move it around.

12. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

What? Are you like 80 lbs? You know why it is 'hefty' right? I certainly hope you know why because I don't want to inform you on why. You should know.

13. Dominus Mortem macrumors regular

They will/are depreciating. I bought a used one for $1,200 a little over a year ago and recently sold it for about $750. That seemed like a steep drop to me as I've sold other Macbook pros without losing quite that much over that period of time. Therefore as the 17" MBPs get further behind in processor/gpu/memory speed and technology, the price will continue to slide. Count on it.

14. Ploki macrumors 68000

Oh come on, chill.

17" just has a large footprint, Apple decided to go down a size. (To 11")

15. cpjr macrumors newbie

The re-sale of these computers is based mostly on fashion and what remains in vogue. I do no think it will hold value. If it had the same body stly as the newer retinas then yes, but it does not...

16. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

17" isn't just hefty. It is just too big and unwieldy to use in plenty of situations, like on a plane...

Better screen res on a 15" machine is likely preferable for most people.

17. GHouse macrumors newbie

Funny, just flew 9000 miles with mine in coach without a problem.

18. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Thank you for the voices of reason on here!

Exactly thank you GHouse.

As I keep saying in my posts: You have to prepare yourself for a professional life style change, your surroundings aren't catered to your every desires. If you have a 17" MBP you know your business and what you need out of it, so I always fly 1st class or business class if I carry the beast around and have project deadlines, plain and simple.

For the record, stop complaining about the size of the 17" MBP, you obviously don't get out much.

Thank you.