macbook 17 early'11, ssd in optibay has 22mb/s write speed?!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by temen, Jul 27, 2016.

1. temen macrumors member

Hi,
    Please help?

let me start with - disk is fine, I used it before as a main drive (in hdd slot), with different osx system and it had 200-350mb/s write and read.
    After year of laying I decided to fix my setup. Bought optibay (tray for hdd/ssd in superdrive place) where I installed this ssd (samsung pro 840),
    and in my hdd slot I have some 1TB 5400 speed hdd.

installed el capitan on ssd (both drives encrypted) and right after that installed & opened blackmagic disk speed test. Results are:
    1. hdd write 84mb/s, read 105mb/s
    2. ssd: write was about 30mb/s, once even started from 80mb/s, but average is ~22mb/s, sometimes it gets even as low as 12mb/s. read - 180mb/s

about this mac->more information->sata section shows that hdd controller has Link speed 6 Gigabit, while ssd controller has 3 Gigabit.

What can I do here? Trim enabler on El Capitan is still way to go, or is it obsolete since OSX Lion?
    Maybe my optical bay is broken somehow?

I hope I can expect and get my ssd in superdrive tray to at least 200mb/s?

2. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You could swap the HDD and the SSD, so you have the SSD in the normal hard drive position. That will give you the faster drive on the faster bus.

4. temen thread starter macrumors member

Dah. I just now noticed that "Trim support: No", typed "sudo trimforce enable" and now my write is ~2200mb/s, read 268mb/s.
    I'm assuming that's limit of 3gbit sata?

DeltaMac, putting ssd in hdd will not cause any problems? with some motion sensor in hdd bay or something like that?
    --- Post Merged, Jul 27, 2016 ---
    In previous post by 2200mb/s I meant of course 220 ;)

My write was jumping a while, it was 40, 100, 150, 250, then slowed down again to 70mb/s. But now for ~20 test cycles it stabilized at 250mb/s write, 250mb/s read

5. Prabas macrumors 6502a

Prabas

I had setup like that on my MBP 13 Late 2011. SSD in original HDD slot and the old HDD in optical drive bay. I've had it for a year or two, no issues whatsoever.

6. tubeexperience, Jul 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016

tubeexperience macrumors 68030

SSD goes into the main bay (HDD slot), not the optical bay.

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

One issue to consider: a spinning hard drive in the optical drive bay will not have the protection of the sudden motion sensor (SMS).
    But, your primary boot drive would be the SSD - which would "ignore" the motion sensor anyway, and the protection provided by the SMS would likely not be that important for you with a spinning hard drive that is basically for data.
    And, that might be incentive for you to be more diligent in keeping a current backup of that hard drive.

8. temen thread starter macrumors member

I'm. And I'm also looking right now for spec to build NAS with 3-5 drivers and raid 10, so I should be good in the matter of backup. :)

Thanks!